Saturday May 20, 2023 Copenhagen
Saturday May 20, 2023 Copenhagen
The album below has two photos: the Staten Museum of Kunst
in Copenhagen; the 1001 painting El Gondol by Julius Exner
Our overnight SAS flight left O’Hare Friday evening a little after 10:00 pm and
landed in Copenhagen, Saturday about an hour early just after noon local
time. We took a train from the airport
to Copenhagen H, Central Station, and then walked about 10 minutes to our
hotel. Checking in didn’t take long, and
Sue was up for going to the museum in Copenhagen that had our 1001 painting. Our walk to the Museum took about 30 min. The photo shows the Statens Museum for
Kunst or SMK that has the 1001 painting, En Gondol by Johan Julius Exner that
I’ve been told will be on display. On
our last visit to Copenhagen in 2014 I thought that it would be on display, but
I was wrong. Hard to believe, I know. I’m
writing this on our 4.5+ hour train ride from Copenhagen to Stockholm, so
you’re getting the whole story. After
buying our tickets we saw two uniformed Museum employees in the main plaza of
the museum. So I got a photo of the
painting we wanted to see on my phone and walked over to ask these guys if they
knew what room this painting was in. Well, they both immediately said that the
painting was not here!!! Had I screwed
up again? They both insisted that this
painting was not at the museum. I walked
away a bit shaken. I then checked my
email from the museum that told me the painting would be on display. The email even gave me the room number, 219
where the painting was displayed. So we
went up to the second floor hoping that it would be there. We asked a different museum person on the
second floor how to get to room 219 and he showed us the way. An I'md guess what? Our painting WAS on DISPLAY!!!!. What a relief.
I took a photo of the painting and the information card. We went back down to tell the first two guys
the painting was on display. They acted
like they really didn’t care that they were wrong, but it did feel good to tell
them they were wrong.
After this experience we started running out of steam, so we headed back to the hotel to rest up a bit before going to Saturday Mass at 6:00 pm. On our walk to the museum we had passed a station for one of the local trains that we knew would take us to Central station. So we bought a couple of tickets at the 7-Eleven store in the station and headed home.
The Sacred Heart of Jesus Church was only an 8 min. walk from our hotel. The interesting thing was that this Mass was in Italian! The Church web page listed that this Saturday Mass would be in Italian. We could tell from the candles lining the main aisle that this was not just an ordinary day. The Mass started with music and a choir singing in Italian, and a procession of maybe 10-12 youngsters. We believe that they were receiving their First Communion. After Mass we headed out to a beer hall that Sue had scouted out. Earlier in the day when Sue had called to make a reservation they asked would we be staying for 1.5 hrs, 2.5 hrs, or All Evening. We settled for 1.5 hrs. The menu was right up our alley, it has a number of smaller plates so we (Sue) can pick a selection of different items, and they were all good. They also had an array of great Belgian beer: Rochefort 6, 8 and 10. I had the Rochefort 10 (11.3% alcohol!!) Sue had the 6, because as she told the waitress, she has to lead me home. I did have two #10’s, and Sue did have to lead me home. It was a great evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment