Sunday, September 17, 2023

 Sept 17, 2023 Chicago Art Institute Caravaggio Exhibition

Because you’ve followed this blog you know that we (mostly me/Ray) are trying to see all of the Caravaggio paintings in addition to the paintings in the book “1001 You Must See Before You Die”.  The Chicago Art Institute has an exhibition “Among Friends and Rivals: Caravaggio in Rome”.  The exhibition is from Sep 8–Dec 31, 2023.  There are five paintings in the exhibition: two Caravaggio’s and three paintings by contemporaries of Caravaggio.  One Caravaggio painting in the exhibition we have NOT seen!  So I was excited.  We went to a lecture about the exhibition at the Institute on Thursday Sept 7.   We didn’t go with the lecture crowd to go to the gallery to see the paintings after the lecture, just knowing that the crowd would be big.  The next day we went back to actually see the paintings with only a few people present.  The painting we had not seen was "The Cardsharps" from the Kimbell Art Museum in Ft. Worth, TX.  I of course took photos of all five paintings in the exhibit.

We went back on Friday September 15th for a 1 hour gallery lecture.  There was good size crowd of 50+, but there were chairs.  There were two people from the Institute who spoke, and asked the crowd questions.  I am not the only one who is interested in Caravaggio.  The lady sitting next to me asked if I was a Caravaggio aficionado, which of course I was, as was she.  Most of the crowd could have been in our high school class, i.e. old.  There was one younger lady who “asked” a question for about 5 minutes, while giving her opinions.  I even made a comment when the speaker asked if anyone would have wanted to be one of the people in “The Cardsharps” painting.  The painting shows two low life’s cheating a young man at cards.   I said no, a short answer to the point. 

After the talk, I took a few photos of works by two other artists that I follow that were in a different gallery.  I can’t stop myself.  Just like this has gone on too long.

2023 09 14 Caravaggio Art Institute Chicago 

No comments:

Post a Comment