Sunday, August 20, 2023

 

Aug 10, 2023 Art Institute Remedios Varo

On Wednesday Aug. 9th Sue got a card from Nancy of Royden & Nancy, our Canadian friends who are also hunting the 1001 paintings.  Nancy asked if we had seen the 1001 painting "Creation of the Birds" by Remedios Varo at the exhibition at the Chicago Art Institute.  Huh?  I checked the exhibition on the Institute’s web site, and sure enough the painting was there.  So we went the next day to see the exhibition, and saw #737.  Sue really liked the artist’s style, as did I.  There were about 18 paintings on display.  There were also about 18 drawings or sketches on display.  Most of these were preparatory sketches of figures she used in her paintings.  I didn’t realize the artist was a woman until I read the information cards!  Mae culpa, just my male centered view of the world.  I also had never considered that artists made pencil sketches of what they were going to paint.  I learned two things today!  Her paintings are really captivating, I think it is the subjects she painted and her unique style.  

 

Aug 10, 2023 Art Institute Remedios Varo 

No comments:

Post a Comment