January 13, 2019 visit
the Petit Palace - Musée Nissim de Camondo – Caravaggio Exhibition at the Jacquemart-Andre
Sue pointed out that I forgot to mention that we went to
church Saturday evening at St. Sulpice, and then out to dinner at The Académie
de la bière.
Sunday morning we went to breakfast at a place found on Trip
Advisor. The restaurant is Eggs &
Company, and it just serves breakfast. We
each had Eggs Benedicit with bacon, coffee and a pancake. It was very good and very expensive, 50€.
After breakfast we went to the Petit Palace, an Art Museum we
have never visited. We haven’t visited
it because it doesn’t have a painting on any of my lists. It is a very nice museum, and free. The collection includes many items other than
paintings.
We had 17:45 tickets to the Caravaggio Exhibition at the
Jacquemart-Andre Musee. This is why we
are here. I’ve been on the pursuit of
Caravaggio paintings, Sue not so much.
When we visited St. Petersburg in 2017 Caravaggio’s “The Lute Player”
was not on display. I think it was in
conservation, so when I saw it was in this exhibition, we just had to go. There were ten (?) Caravaggio’s on display. The special feature of this exhibit is that
there are two copies of the “Magdalene in Ecstasy” on display. There are experts who believe both Magdalene’s
are copies, and experts who think one or the other is an original. Many of Caravaggio paintings where copied
during and after his lifetime. This was not
an unusual practice in the early 17th century. As a result there are uncertainties about
many paintings attributed to Caravaggio.
The various lists have from 66 to 90 paintings. Some lists include paintings attributed and
questionable. I know this is more than
you want, but it is fun for me, and Sue puts up with it. We saw four or six new Caravaggio’s depending
if we include the two Magdalene’s, and we have seen 52 t0 61 depending on which
list I use. The other benefit is that we
don’t have to go back to St. Petersburg, or to Cremona or Genoa.
January 13 Caravaggio Exhibit
No comments:
Post a Comment