January 12, 2019 visit
to Arab Institute
We got a slow start after a very long day after yesterday’s
arrival. Sue checked out the museums on
our pass, and that are close. We started
at the Cluny Museum of the Middle Ages.
The museum was being renovated, but they still had their world famous
Lady and the Unicorn tapestries on display.
Then it was off to the Arab World Institute, it is on the
card and pretty close to our location. The
roof top deck has a nice view of Notre Dame.
The art on display was interesting and surprising. I thought that Islam prohibited portraying
human images, and that is why their art is usually geometric shapes and
patterns. I’m sure that some of the
contemporary Arabic art is probably by artists who do not adhere to the
prohibition of painting images of people.
The older Christian art could be from before Muhammad’s revelations establishing
Islam. But I would have thought most of
the Christian art would have been destroyed.
This is something YOU could research and get back to me.
We stopped at the Sorbonne Chapel to ask if we could get in
to see the tomb of Cardinal Richelieu, and we can’t. So I may have to investigate if there is a
way to arrange a visit for another time.
That was it for our excursions for today. We went back to the hotel to rest before
dinner. Dinner was at our favorite
place, The Académie de la bière. We
found this place on our trip last spring.
It has many, many beers, including Belgium beers. We had moules (mussels) and an assortment of
sausages.
Sue liked that I didn’t take so many pictures today, but I
got over that on the next two days. As
always I am already two days behind, and I may not catch up until we get home.
No comments:
Post a Comment