Friday, December 6, 2019


Friday Nov 29, 2019 – Vienna Kunsthistorisches Museum (written Dec 6) first of two posts today

After Caravaggio I was off to the collection of the Kunsthistoriisches Museum after the Caravaggio exhibit. I’ll try to keep it short. The museum has paintings on several of my lists, not that anyone cares, including Sue.

1001 Paintings                 “Portrait of a Beardless Man” by Hans Maler - this is 707 of the 1001   
Old Master’s Scarf          “Helena Fourment in a Fur Wrap” by Peter Paul Rubens - this is 49 of 80
149 Paintings                   “Susanna (Bathing) and the Elders” by Tintoretto  
                                         “Taking of Samson” by Anthony van Dyck
                                         “Self-Portrait Large” by Rembrandt

                                         “The Conversion of Saul” by Pieter Bruegel the Elder - this is 95 of 149
Pieter de Hooch              “Woman Nursing Infant and Serving Maid with Child” - no list yet
Giorgione                         “Portrait of Francesco Maria della Rovere”
                                         “Youth Holding an Arrow”
                                         “The Three Philosophers”
                                         “Portrait of a Young Woman (Laura)”
                                         “Adoration of the Shepherds”
                                         “A Soldier”         these 6 get me to 25 of ~52no

Gerard ter Borch             “Woman Peeling Apple”- no list yet
Caravaggio                       “Narcissus” - 58 of 65 by Caravaggio (Authored)
                                         “Portrait of Maffeo Barberini” - 11 of 21 attributed to Caravaggio

Jan van Eyck                 “Madonna and Child at the Fountain”- 24 of 30

The “1001 Paintings You Must See before You Die” list and the Caravaggio’s are the two lists that we (I) really focus on.  The others are targets of opportunity.  I wouldn’t have made this trip, and Sue wouldn’t have let me just to see the one painting on the Old Master’s Scarf.  I do realize no one else cares about this stuff, but it is fun to sometimes go back and look at old posts.

I went through the Kunsthistorisches too fast, but that is what I do, and then I was off to see the Albrecht Dürer exhibition at the Albertina Museum.

Friday Nov 29 2019 Kunsthorisches Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment