Parade day was iffy weather wise. That didn't stop thousands of people from coming into town for the Gay Pride Canal Parade. Pink was the color of the day, so luckily I had brought a pink scarf with me to Amsterdam to wear when I need to dress up!!
We went to the parade with Ruth and Karl-Heinz, who we exchanged houses with last year. They live in Berlin and are doing an exchange to Amsterdam this summer before they take off for an around the world trip in September. The last picture in the group today is of the four of us enjoying a beverage after we left the festivities.
Despite the huge crowd we were able to get a pretty good viewing spot. The parade route is quite long, so it is not like the awful crowds at the Chicago Pride Parade. Many of the parade watchers were in boats as you can see from the pictures.
I must say, having been to many Chicago Pride Parades, this one was not as vulgar. Lots of disco music with that boom boom beat still in my head. Not a thong in sight, however, and not much gyrating going on. Lots of champaign drinking by the viewers. Had I known I would have brought champaign instead of water. When I asked Ruth if she wanted any water, she said she preferred proseco...well so would I.
Left the parade early and got a few beers before heading home. The parade was estimated to last 4 hours. That was a bit much for us. Lots of celebrating afterward. Ray and I went out for dinner late that night and the neighborhood which is usually pretty quiet was buzzing.
August 4, 2012 Gay Pride Amsterdam
No comments:
Post a Comment