Friday, October 26, 2018


October 25, 2018              Barcelona            Thursday 25th
 
We went back to the MACBA to buy our museum cards and to see the collection.  The current exhibition is a chronological path through the MACBA Collection from 1929 to the present.  I of course had to take too many photos, mostly of Antoni Tapies’ works.  Many items on display were “installation” works; these can be and are just about anything.  They can be difficult to photograph and to explain, so I didn’t even try.  Next door was the CCCB - Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona.  They had an exhibition of Stanley Kubrick’s movies.  I have seen five: Path to Glory 1957, Spartacus 1960, Dr. Stranglove 1964 (my all-time FAVORITE), 2001 A Space Odyssey 1968, and Full Metal Jacket 1987.  There were approximately 5 minute clips running for most of the movies.  After all that we went back to the apartment, Sue took a nap and I went out to wander around a bit.

I took some photos of a tiled mural just off La Rambla.  The Google Translations of the tesx on the mural aren’t very good.  The next stop was at the Cathedral Barcelona.  The Cathedral is about a 5 minute walk from the apartment.  While walking I found a tapas bar that Sue had spotted on our first day here.  I wasn’t paying attention, can you believe it, so we didn’t know where it was located.  But from her description I was sure I had found it.  It was back to the apartment to give her the good news, and that was our next stop.  The food was very good.  I could get used to eating at tapas bars; there is a lot of variety, and you get to choose how much to eat.  I think all of the items come on a thick slice of good bread, so this helps to fill you up, but the flavors of the ham, fish, egg, anchovies, etc. really make it interesting.  I of course had dessert, a big piece of cake (no bread), Sue had one bite.

The next stop was the Obama Gastropub.  It bills itself as a British/American pub.  The decorations are all like a British pub; I think the American part comes from the menu, hamburgers, etc.  You can also get a hookah to smoke.  I don’t know that that is either British or American.  They have a great Belgian beer, “Judas” 9% alcohol by volume.  We had a couple of these while chatting with our waiter.  We enjoyed ourselves, and will go back as it isn’t far from the apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment