May 24, 2025 Rome Barberini Caravaggio Exhibition & Casino di Villa Boncompagni Ludovisi
We (Sue) had made our travel plans to visit Amsterdam at the end of May. We were going to Amsterdam and Paris. Sometime after we made plans to travel I learned that there was going to be a VERY BIG Caravaggio exhibition in Rome. So I made plans to fly from Paris to Rome and back in one day to see this exhibition. I started trying to see ALL of the Caravaggio paintings probably back in 2012, when we lived in Amsterdam. There are several web pages that list Caravaggio paintings. The site “THE CARAVAGGIO RESEARCH COMMITTEE” link - Caravaggio Research Committee lists 65 paintings, and after this trip I’ve now seen 64 of 65. The 65th is on display at the Met in New York. We are going there to see it next month! Another site I use is a WikipediA page WikipediA Caravaggio it lists 95 or 96 paintings that includes a number of disputed paintings. This page has some paintings that are listed as questionable. It also seems to happen every few years that ‘another’ Caravaggio painting is discovered.
There were 23 paintings in the exhibition. It turned out that there were FIVE Caravaggio’s that I had not seen. Four are on the list of 65, and one that is only on the Wiki page. I’ve seen 85 of the paintings on the Wiki page, I think. I’ll have to check this out when I’m not riding on a train from Paris to Amsterdam. I will post this when we are back in our hotel in Amsterdam. Plus it will give me a chance to double check this post and the comments on the photos. So much for double checking We are in Amsterdam so I’m posting it.
No comments:
Post a Comment