Saturday, February 2, 2013

List of 1001 Paintings

In response to a suggestion that we update how many of the 1001 paintings we've seen I'll bore you with more numbers.  Our book was copyrighted in 2006.  I think there is a newer edition(s). The newer version has replaced three paintings that we have in the original.  There are 130 paintings that are in Private Collections, so our chance of seeing any of these is pretty small.  It is possible that some of these paintings could be loaned out for special exhibitions.  But knowing when and where this might happen is not likely.  So subtracting 130 from 1001 leaves 871 paintings that are actually available for us to see.

Now some of the paintings in the list are actually illustrations in ancient manuscripts that are never put on view.  We have been to Reading Rooms at both the British Library and The Victoria and Albert Museum pursuing several manuscripts. Some of the  paintings are listed at private art galleries, these are all Contemporary paintings.  I've contacted at least five galleries in the cities that we've visited to learn that a) the gallery is no longer in business or b) they no longer have the paintings.   But I haven't subtracted these from the 871.

Anyway we have seen 306 to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment