Monday, February 18, 2013

Valentine Dinner at Cafe Orts

After an exhausting day of travel, sightseeing and rain it was a pleasure to sit down for a special dinner. 
When we arrrived at the hotel around noon I noticed the menu board had posted a special dinner for Valentine's Day.  I asked a few questions since I don't speak french, and they referred me to the chef who was working in the open kitchen just above the bar.  He pretty much described the entire menu, which Ray has since added in photos with appropriate captions.  I will elaborate.
The amuse bouche was a surprise which I believe it always is.  Well this was quite a surprise.  Foie gras on a  toast point with an absolutely scrumptous onion relish and a small seafood salad with baby shrimp and caviar.  This was accompanied by a Kir Royale, perfect for the day, champagne and creme de cassis.
The next course was the scallops cooked to perfection.  I am able to get wonderful scallops in Amsterdam at the market and try hard to cook them properly, but these guys were out of this world.  A nice crust and a soft middle.  I was able to watch the chef throughout the entire meal.  I think he cooked the scallops for a minute or so on each side.  I know that is the secret, but I have to work on it at home.  Also, the chef had a tub of butter next to the cooktop, and I think every course had a healthy dollop of my favorite food...butter. The scallops were great, but we agreed that this portion was an entree size.   We could have shared one plate. 
The soup course had a Valentine theme...oysters swimming in celery soup.  We had to catch the oysters as they were swimming.  Oysters and love have a connection, right??  Maybe it's oysters and sex?  Whatever!!  Yummy.
The main was beef  cooked to perfection, in butter of course, with carmelized potatoes and tomato, legume, eggplant sidedish.  We could have shared this plate also.  Both of us left half of our dinner.  Had to leave a little room for dessert.
Chocolate mousse, marscapone cream with strawberries and meringue bits, a chocolate dipped strawberry and a carmelized banana.  Ray ate all of his and licked his plate.  I left a little on my plate.
We chatted a bit with the chef.  Sometimes he served the dishes and sometimes the maitre d served. He is from Tunisia.  In fact most of the staff did not appear to be Belgian. All very attentive and wanting to please. 
I forgot to add that after the Kir Royale we drank some lovely beer...Ramee Blonde.  Another one of those outstanding Belgian brews.
Jude always says we are easy to please and rarely have a bad meal, but this one was truly memorable. 

Feb 14, 2013 Valentine Dinner



No comments:

Post a Comment