Saturday, November 8, 2014


Cimitero Monumentale is something I can’t describe and the photos can’t show the scale of the place.  If you ever get to Milan we think it is something you have to see.  Most of the monuments have a religious theme such as resurrection, being greeted by Christ, etc., but the second most popular theme is the grieving wife prostrate on the tomb mourning her loss.  I thought it was a nice touch, ladies you don’t have to throw yourselves onto the funeral pyre (that would be a very nice touch if you have a funeral pyre).  Just a gesture to hide the fact that you are glad to be rid of the old grouch.  We could have spent all day wandering around, but we were only there for 1½ hours.  We then went back to the gift store at the convent that has the Last Supper to look for that scarf for Sue.  They no longer sold scarfs.  That was bad and good news.  Bad because the scarf was really neat, good because it cost a lot of money.  Then off to two more museums the Brera Pinacoteca and the Biblioteca Ambrosiana.  The Brera has six paintings on our list that we saw in 2012.  But on that visit we got to the museum about 15 minutes before closing and had to run through the galleries to find our paintings, which we did because most are highlights marked on the floor plan of the museum.  We went back to take a more leisurely walk through the place.  Plus I’m also now keeping track of the paintings by Caravaggio that we’ve seen, and another version of the “Supper at Emmaus” is there, and we saw it.  Four of the six paintings on our list are in the relatively small Modern art gallery in the museum.  The majority of the paintings at the museum are religious works, what you would expect in Italy where the Renaissance began.  But even we get overwhelmed after a while.  Sue more than me, as my compulsion is to read every label, even though they are in Italian.  We stopped for lunch before we went to the Ambrosiana.  We had a and beer, both were delicious.  The Ambrosiana doesn’t have a “1001” painting but it does have a Caravaggio, the ”Basket of Fruit” and Leonardo da Vinci’s Codex Atlanticus.  Once again most of the paintings are religious, and not on the list so we didn’t spend too much time studying many paintings.  The jewel in the crown here is Leonardo’s Codex Atlanticus.  It is the biggest collection of Leonardo’s drawings.  The pages were originally bound in one big volume of 402 pages.  It was called Atlanticus because it was bound in a large book the size typical of an atlas of maps.  Napoleon took it from the Ambrosiana to Paris in 1637.  At some point the 1,119 pages were bound into 12 volumes.  These volumes were returned to Milan.  In 2009 these volumes were unbound in order to preserve the individual pages.  There were 20+pages on display in a library room.  Each page was in a special case with a digital display that told you about the page.  The description was in both Italian and English.  Last year and this year they will display all of the pages of the Codex at two different museums.  So if you know someone who is obsessive that might like to see EVERY page let them know.  It was very neat, I didn’t read every label as Sue was just about down to bloody stumps, so we went back to the hotel so she could rest.  I then went out to another art gallery on the Duomo Piazza. This gallery has paintings by Lucio Fontana who has one our list.  His painting on our list is in a private collection, but he made a series of very similar paintings so I was hoping that there would be one of those here.  There were about five paintings that are similar to the one on our list (we have seen at least three similar paintings at other galleries) plus there was a lot of interesting Contemporary art on display.

Wednesday morning we took a train to Padova (Padua) where we spent the night where there are five paintings and Galileo’s house among other things.  I forgot to mention that our passports were checked by a border patrol officer on the trip from Zurich to Milan.  On our 2012 travels that would have been a problem, but not this time.  He didn’t really look at the dates just our photos and asked if we were carrying more than €10,000.  I wish. 

The Scrovegni Chapel has four by Giotto and the Duomo Baptistry has one by Menaboui.  Each artist, probably with help from assistants painted all of the paintings in each chapel.  The walls and ceilings of both are totally covered by the frescoes that depict the life of Christ.  We walked by Galileo’s House on the way to our hotel as it is just around the corner.  All we saw was a sign on a column pointing to the building that said “Galileo’s House” and that was it.  There were no open doors, no entrance sign nothing, so I took a photo of the sign and the building and that was that.  The Basilica of St. Anthony is about a block from the hotel, the reason Sue chose it.  The Basilica is quite a place.  The tomb of the saint is in the Basilica so this place has been a pilgrimage site for centuries.  Apparently they dug up his body in the 1980s and encased it in a new tomb/altar that you can walk up to and touch.  There is another area where they have Class 1 relics of the saint.  Class 1 relics are actual parts of the saint’s body.  We saw reliquaries that contain St. Anthony’s tongue and another that has his voice box.  We saw another one where we could see teeth that must have had his lower jaw.  There were more vessels that may have more parts but we didn’t want to start another “list”.  We got a booklet about St. Anthony, but lucky for you I haven’t had time to read it.  And this post has already gone on too long.  We are on the train Thursday morning to Trieste to see one more painting.  I will try to post the tonight when we get back to Milan.

On the train back to Milan and I am able to charge the laptop.  On the last Trenitalia train that I tried to charge the laptop the cursor could not be controlled.  I couldn’t move the cursor or it would move by itself and the camera opened and took about five pictures looking up my nose.  I know a horrifying thought.  I think it was due to the quality of the power I was plugged into.  On this train the same erratic cursor movement happened when I plugged in, but now it seems to be working ok.  I thought you would want to know this.  Tomorrow we are renting a car to drive to two places each about two hours from Milan.  At the Novalesa Abbey Dom. Giuseppe has kindly let us visit even though the Abbey is closed to visitors during the week in November.  Both places are north of Milan so I hope the rain we’ve gotten isn’t snow in the mountains.  This post has gone on too long, but we had to move two guys out of our seats because I wanted the table to type on, so I have to keep writing so they don’t think I'm an a##h##e.  I will try to post the photos and this blog when we get back to our hotel in Milan, but sometimes uploading the photos take a while, like you care.

Saturday morning we will be off to Florence.

Saturday November 8, 2014

I’m writing this as we are on the train to Firenze (Florence).  We were travelling to two sites a few hours from Milan, so we took an express train to the airport to pick up the rental car and that went pretty well.  It was a beautiful day, sunny and bright.  The first destination was the Novalesa Abbey that is about 2.5 hours from the airport.  In November it is only open on the weekends, but I had been corresponding with (Father) Dom. Giuseppe and he said he would open it for us so we could visit on Friday.  I had emailed him that we would be there between 11 & 12, because I had planned on leaving at 9:00.  We actually left around 10:30.  As we drove west toward Torino on the motorway a line of snowcapped mountains became visible in the distance.  Sue was busy taking photos of the rapidly changing scenery.  Each vista was more picturesque and dramatic than the last.  There were monasteries or castles or I don’t know what spotted up the hill sides all along the route.  There were even a few on the top of some of the lower mountains along the road.  Most of the driving was on motorways so it was pretty easy with the GPS.  I had the guy at Hertz program in our two destinations and where to return the car and I allowed the routes to include tolls.  I think the government of Italy could give us a rental car for free if we took the toll roads.  There are a lot of tolls, and most are not cheap.  I had asked the Hertz garage attendant if we could pay tolls with cash and he said we could.  Of course the first toll booth was unmanned, long story short I was there for at least five minutes trying to pay.  If I was behind me I would have been going nuts.  Finally figured out that I had to put the credit card into the same slot that ate the ticket.  We got to the Abbey at about 13:15.  It is located a short distance from the town of Novalesa.  It is very small with just a few houses outside the abbey.  I pushed the call button, and when someone answered I gave my name and asked for Dom. Giuseppe.  Well Dom. Giuseppe was not happy!  He said we were late and that he had been waiting since 11:00.  I started to tell him about the traffic out of Milan (there was some road work, but not the real reason we were late).  In the midst of my bs he cut off the intercom.  We waited a few minutes and then he came out side.  He told us that he had waited for us and now it was time for him to rest and that we would have to wait until 15:45!  We told him that we could not wait that long.  He then asked if we came by car, and we said yes.  I don’t know how else we could have gotten there.  I looked at us for a moment, he said that he would be back and he left.  We waited at least ten minutes, and we were getting concerned that maybe he wasn’t coming back.  But he did, and it looked like he had had to change his clothes, i.e. put on warmer clothes under his cassock.  He then gave us the full tour of the place that lasted at least a half hour.  There are about four small chapels and he gave us a little information about when each was built and the style of architecture.  The Chapel of St. Eldrad and St. Nicholas was the last stop on the tour and where our painting was located.  This chapel dates from the 9th and 10th centuries.  Dom. Giuseppe explained that the frescoes that filled the chapel were some of the only ones left from this time.  They were trying to get this site listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.  The photo I took of our painting shows some scaffolding where they are either restoring or protecting some of the frescoes.  Most of the paintings are in good shape, but as you can see some have been damaged over time.  The door to the chapel has open bars so there is no atmosphere or temperature control.  Dom. Giuseppe gave us the stories that the paintings were telling.  Our painting shows St. Eldrad receiving a blessing from St. Nicholas before leaving on a pilgrimage.  That St. Nicholas is the guy who became Santa Clause.  Dom. Giuseppe talked with us as we walked around the grounds.  He asked us about our election and we told him our “side” had lost.  He then said that must mean we were not part of the Grand Old Party.  We talked a little more about US politics.  He was very well informed about US politics, he said he reads the papers, but not TV.  He told us that he had been to Chicago 30 years ago, and Sue commented he didn’t look much older than 30, but he said he was much older than 30.  He didn’t look 50 though.  We then went back to the book shop, where they didn’t have any guides about the Abbey in English, lucky for you.  We bought a few things and gave him a donation and thanked him for his kindness.  He joked and said that if we had been GOP he wouldn’t have let us in.  My kind of guy.  We thanked him again and he wished us a pleasant journey.

We were off to our next destination the Castle Issogne, it was about 1½ hours away.  It was almost all motorway, and the scenery was even more spectacular than before.  The light was changing so the view were even more dramatic.  The town of Issogne is in the Vale di Aosta, and the motorway to the town ran down a valley that was lined by steep mountains.  If you were into photography you could spend all your time trying to capture the views.  The Castle is on the main piazza of the small town.  We had to wait about 20 minutes for the next guided tour in Italian (the only way into the castle).  We looked around and took more photos.  The tour guide came, a lady close to our age, who spoke no English.  Lucky for us our painting is on a wall in the courtyard, so we were able to see it almost as soon as she opened the door.  We tried to explain that all we were interested in was seeing this painting.  She was confused, and who wouldn’t be.  We led her back to the office so we could explain to the English speaking ticket seller what we were doing.  We told them briefly about our quest (something you undoubtedly wish I would apply to this blog) and that we were crazy, but all we wanted to see was the painting.  Now if the tour had been in English we might have stayed, but I doubt it.  So we were back on the road to get back to the airport.  I didn’t add any comments to the scenery photos as the pictures say it all, and the photos can’t come close to how beautiful it is.  I guess if you live in the mountains this gets to be old had.  But it was quite the experience for us.

And that was a bit of an adventure.  I misunderstood the attendant when he explained what he had programmed into the GPS.  I thought he said to select Malpensa Airport and that Somma Lombardo would be the last exit before the airport where we could buy gas.  I missed that he had programmed Somma Lombardo into the GPS and that I was to go there first.  The result is that we end up at the airport without refilling the car.  So we had to find a gas station on our own and then get back to the airport, not a big deal except to a high anxiety guy like me.  But there were no real problems.  We took the express back to Milan and had a great dinner at the hotel.  Sue had thin sliced beef over rocket salad and cherry tomatoes, with a side of diced potatoes sautéed with scallions.  I got the help her with the beef.  I had roast duck in an orange sauce with spinach and the same potatoes.  I love duck, and this was delicious.  We of course got to talk to the chef, and the maître d’ had given us a sampler from the chef when we had drinks at the bar, and then gave us an after dinner drink that I can’t tell you the name, except it wasn’t grappa.  We also had gelato for dessert.  I had plane old chocolate that was good, but Sue had the pink grapefruit and pineapple that were out of this world.

We got to Firenze and checked into a small hotel in a great location on the Plazzo Vecchio.  We have already seen four paintings on the list, and we are getting ready to go to mass at Santa Croce.  And then we’ll see about eating.  








 



No comments:

Post a Comment