Monday, November 17, 2014


Now where was I?  We have been on the go so obviously posting has suffered.  Friday in Siena we had to visit the Pinacoteca Nazionale to see two paintings.  Originally it was going to be three, but Royden and Nancy who visited the day before emailed to tell us that St. Anthony being beaten by Devils at an exhibition in Brussels.  On the walk to the museum we saw a demonstration in a square so I went over to take a few photos.  We didn’t know what it was about but there were about 50 people with signs, banners and a loudspeaker.  There were also plenty of polizia around.  Well we found out what the demonstration was about when we got to the museum and found the doors closed!  There was a notice on the door that the museum was closed because of the Strike, obviously our demonstration.  So we stood outside trying to decide what else we could do as it was only about 10:30 and we were not leaving until the next day.  After a while the door to the museum opened and two folks came out to have a smoke.  We went over to see what we could learn, and miraculously they told us the museum would reopen at 14:00!!!  Talk about relief, so we went and visited the church of St. Catherine of Siena.  After that we went to the Campo to sit outside and have something to drink, Sue had coffee I had a beer.  We sat in the sun people watching, and commenting for almost an hour and a half, and nobody ever bothered us.  Can you imagine sitting outside in a tourist area in the US, ordering one drink and not moving for that long?  I can’t either.  Anyway we got to the museum when it opened.  There was an older French couple in front of us at the ticket window, and they were not happy.  The second floor was going to be opened from 14:00 to 15:00 then closed, and then the first floor would be opened from 15:00 to 16:00.  The French couple didn’t buy the tickets, but we did as we had one painting on each floor.  The galleries were arranged in chronological order.  But we found out which gallery our painting was in and went there first thing.  We didn’t know if things might change.  We may have been the only people in the place.  An attendant showed us to our painting “The Virgin Appears to Pope Callistus III” by Sano di Pietro, and she explained a bit about the story the painting was depicting (once again I’ll spare you the details).  I would guess that based on her age (close to ours) and knowledge that she was more than an attendant and that she had been pressed into service because of the strike.  We saw everything on this floor, even the spot were St. Anthony was usually beaten by Devils.  At 15:00 we went to the first floor and went right to the second painting “Nativity of the Virgin” by Domenico Beccafumi, then because it was so nice to have the place to ourselves we saw everything on that floor.  We eventually made our way back to the B&B to rest a bit before dinner.  The B&B has three rooms and is run by Carlo who could be 25, maybe.  He was very nice, he even gave us a bottle of wine.  Our room was nice, the price was right and it was located at the top of the escalators that run from the train station up to Siena.  We counted and there are eight escalators and moving walkways that run the +200ft from the station to the town.  That night we walked into a restaurant that Sue had spotted the night before.  It seated maybe 20 people tops, and there were only four folks there when we walked in.  Since we didn’t have a reservation they could only seat us if we could be done in an hour and a half.  No problem.  The food was delicious and the beer even better.  Sue had sliced veal over something (she’ll remember and update this), I had the duck breast that was even better than hers.  The beers were by a local brewer, called artesian here.

Saturday morning we were up early to catch a train to Chiusi-Chianciano Terme to pick up a rental car and start our two day six town tour.  To be brief (not my strong suit) we visited Cortona (2 paintings), Arezzo (The Legend of the True Cross that isn’t on the list, but we were in the neighborhood), Citta’ di Castello (1 painting) and Sansepolcro (1 painting).  Cortona is a hill town and the road around the city wall is narrow and serpentine.  It took a few tries but we found a parking spot, and got help buying a ticket from a gentleman our age who spoke perfect English.  After he asked us where we were from, we asked him where he was from.  He was from Cortona, but he went to school at Columbia in New York and in Hawaii.  But he added that was a lifetime ago.  The driving to Arezzo and Citta’ di Castello was no problem with the GPS.  But there are very few straight roads in Italy.  We saw our paintings in both places without a problem.  But that was soon to change!  Driving out of Arezzo in basically nowhere there was a well-dressed young lady standing in a turnout along the two lane highway.  Initially we didn’t think much about it.  But in a few minutes at the next turnout there was another young lady who was dressed much more provocatively standing by the road.  The next turnout had two young ladies sitting in plastic chairs.  We guessed that they were “working girls”.

Our hotel in Sansepolcro was on a narrow street with a narrow garage door for parking.  The end result is that I scrapped the right rear quarter panel pulling into the garage!  Then I almost broke the driver’s outside mirror pulling backout!  The only saving grace is that in Italy you have to purchase the CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) so that will cover everything over €900.  But for the first time ever, I also bought the Excess Damage Refund from the booking company that covers everything the CDW doesn’t.  So hopefully both of these policies should pay for the damage.  We shall see, I’m hoping it will not be too much of a hassle.  We did get to see out painting in Sansepolcro and attend Saturday Mass at the Duomo.  Dinner that nice was again wonderful.  At the moment I can’t remember what I had but it was good.

Sunday morning we were off to Urbino.  The distance wasn’t too far but the road went through the mountains.  I don’t think I ever went faster than 30 mph!  The serpentine road was a continuous series of switchbacks both up one side and down the other.  The views were spectacular and we were in and out of the clouds.  Fortunately there were not many cars on the road, but it was hunting season as just about every car we did see had guys dressed in orange.  There were cars/SUVs parked along the road at just about every wide spot.  I don’t know what they were hunting but there were a lot of them.  Urbino is another hill top town, but fortunately there is an elevator from the parking area “most” of the way up to the town square where the Galleria Nazionale delle Marche is located.  We found our painting and many more just like all the others we are seeing in Italy.  Many of them are starting to all look alike.  We are way passed overkill on pre-Renaissance paintings.  Our next stop was supposed to be Assisi.  We went to an ATM to get another €250 (all we can withdraw).  Sue couldn’t find here credit card!!!!  Panic doesn’t begin to describe the situation!  I called our hotel in Sansepolcro, the last place we may have used it, and thankfully they had it.  Sue dropped it right in front of the desk when she checked us out.  The hotel had contacted Booking.com and tried to call our phone at home (disconnected), they contacted our next hotel in Assisi, and they emailed Sue.  So with great relief we drove back to Sansepolcro to get the card.  I drove just a bit faster on the way back, but not much faster.  We did get to see some of the hunters going home; I don’t know what they were hunting, but we didn’t see any deer or boars strapped to the SUVs.  After picking up the card we headed for Assisi.  The weather changed from a sunny day with big puffy clouds to rain.  We probably didn’t lose too much time if any by going to Assisi through Sansepolcro rather than straight to Assisi from Urbino.  Most of the way to Assisi from Sansepolcro was on the motorway where I think the speed limit is 55 mph per the GPS, and I was about the only one driving that fast.  Our hotel in Assisi was the best bargain of the trip so far.  It was €45/night with parking.  The parking was tight, but with Sue’s expert guidance I managed not to damage the car again.  The lady at the front desk could not have been nicer.  After dropping our stuff we headed off to the Basilica to see our painting and St. Francis’ Tomb.  We saw “St. Francis Receiving the Stigmata” by Giotto as soon as we walked in.  The good news is that photography is not allowed.  If it was I might still be there and not on a slow train to Napoli.  The four hour train ride has allowed me to break my promise about being brief.  Where I will break tradition is just post all the photos I’ve taken since the last post without deleting any, rotating, etc. or adding comments.  There are almost 500 of them and I’ll never catch up at this rate.  I apologize in advance for the bad photos and the confusion.





 











No comments:

Post a Comment