August 9, 2019 Friday Catania to Valletta, Malta
The next morning we had a decent buffet breakfast, but if
you got up late you were probably going to be out of luck. We left our luggage and went out to look for
souvenirs. We were close to the train
station, but we couldn’t find anything.
We would have to see what they had at the airport. Sue waited at the station and I went back to
get our luggage. There was a
buzzer/speaker to call the attendant to open the outer door. Nobody answered, but then I noticed the door
wasn’t latched, so I went in. There was
a second button to unlock the door to the stairway. It wasn’t working!! I’m swearing, pounding on the second door,
pushing the first day buzzer, and getting madder. Another resident of the building came into
the vestibule, I told him the second button wasn’t working. After he tried it he called someone on the
inside to come down and open the door.
After the 79 stairs the door to the office of the B&B was locked. The window to the office was open so I yelled
“is anyone here?” Fortunately there was,
they were cleaning rooms. They let me in
so I could get the luggage. It was a
stressful way to start the day. We
caught the bus to the airport and were there in plenty of time for our
flight. Sue was able to find the
souvenir we wanted.
We had tried to check-in online, but it wasn’t working. So when we checked in at the counter, again
the flight was crowded, yada, yada so our bag was checked. Again there would have been more than enough
room for our roller in the overhead bin.
The flight was only 40 minutes, the seat belt light never went off. I’m sure we spent more time taxiing at both
airports than flying. Getting our
suitcase wasn’t a problem because the luggage beats the buses that takes the
passengers to the terminal. We took a
bus to Valletta and then walked through the old town to our hotel.
I actually picked this hotel. I was thinking of a hotel close to the
Cathedral when I looked on Trip Advisor.
This hotel’s listing had a photo from their rooftop deck with a great
view over the harbor. I told Sue that is
the one I would pick, and since there were no Accor hotels she gave it to me as
a birthday present. You’ll see from the
photos that the view was great. We
checked in and went up to the roof to have a drink. There are only about 11 rooms in the
hotel. The top two floors have a small
bar area where the breakfast buffet is put out, then a floor above that with
tables, and then the roof top deck. They
are all connected by a spiral staircase.
When we ordered our beers the attendant told us he would bring them up,
and he did. He has had a lot of practice
carrying a tray with two beers up the spiral staircase. The roof top deck was worth the price. After enjoying our snacks and beers we went
out for a short walk to see where the Cathedral was and scout out a place for
dinner. Sue had checked out the
restaurants near the hotel. We went to
one very near and just walked in, and they seated us. While we were having our beer Sue noticed
that several couples came in and were told that all the tables were
reserved. We must have gotten the last
open table, although there were open tables when these people were turned away. Sue had risotto calamari and asparagus (she
remembers) I probably had a pasta (but wouldn’t bet on it). Once again it was a pretty good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment