Wednesday Oct 23 – Amsterdam
Today we went back to the Hermitage and since there wasn’t
line we went in. In addition to the
museum’s collection there were two exhibitions: Jewels! The Glitter of the
Russian Court and Portrait Gallery of the 17th Century. I took 181 photos, but I only put about 160
in today’s album. So you have been
warned. You may remember in yesterday’s post
where I said that Dutch group paintings were a thing, well today’s exhibition
will prove the point.
Just a bit about the Amsterdam Hermitage, it is the largest
satellite museum of the St. Petersburg Hermitage Museum. It began showing small exhibitions from the
Russian Hermitage in 2004. It moved into
the present building in 2009. This
larger building was originally opened in 1683 as a home for elderly woman. It was large enough to house 400 women. In 1817 it began also housing elderly
men. By about the year 2000 it was no
longer considered suitable for housing.
The remaining residents were moved to other residences. The building was remodeled into a museum and
opened in 2009.
No comments:
Post a Comment