Tuesday, December 11, 2012


Dachau

The Dachau Concentration Camp is not far from central Munich.  We thought there wouldn’t be many people at the camp because it was December and the Munich Christmas Markets had just opened.  We took public transportation to Dachau, the U-bahn (subway) and a bus to the camp.  Enough people got off the subway at the camp stop to fill a bendy bus (that’s British talk for an articulated bus) that might hold 75 people.  I’m sure summer time crowds are larger, but there were a lot of people there when we arrived, and more arrived throughout the day. 

I’ve put comments on many of the photos.  The enormity and horror of the Holocaust is not something we think about normally.  Visiting the place where it started, seeing the exhibits, the buildings and reading some of the stories make it personal.  I think these are places we have to visit if we have the opportunity.  You can have a very similar experience visiting the Holocaust Museums in Skokie or Washington D.C.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment