Thursday, July 21, 2016



July 20, 2016                 Chicago Library – Vietnam Memorial

I went back to the Harold Washington Library to return a book, get a few more and find out what the Hanging Dog Tags was about.

The exhibit is titled “Above and Beyond” and is a Memorial to the 58,307 military personnel killed in Vietnam.  This exhibit is on loan to the Library and will be on display for the next four years.  The display also includes a touch screen where you can look up names of those killed in the war.  Sue and I knew six class mates that were killed in Vietnam, so I searched for their names.  The records for four are in the attached photo album: Chuck Mitchell, Rodney Rogers, Marty Rapczak and Tom Scott.  I found a record for a Jeff Smith but the man in this record was older than our Jeff Smith.  Our Jeff Smith probably moved and is on a list for another state.  I couldn’t remember the name of the soldier from Wethersfield who was MIA.  Sue knew that is was Marshall Price.  Google found this list, “U.S. Military Fatal Casualties of the Vietnam War for Home-State-of-Record: Illinois.”  This list has 200 pages with about 15 names per page; 3,000 from Illinois were killed in Vietnam.  It has 11 men from Kewanee that were killed in Vietnam.  We didn’t know the other five men.  
 



No comments:

Post a Comment