Tuesday, November 6, 2018


November 6, 2018           Batalha Monastery Prince Henry the Navigator Sunday Nov 4th

The fourth post of the day.  I have put the photos for each of the four places we visited in separate albums.  

Sunday morning we picked our Europcar rent-a-car at about 9:30 without any trouble.  The GPS was another matter.  I had the agent set the system to allow tollways, I rented the device that let us use the high speed toll lanes.  Well it quickly became clear that we were not taking the tollway, after we got that fixed the drive to Batalha Monastery went smoothly.  I wanted to visit Prince Henry the Navigator’s tomb because I remember reading about him in grade school.  Sue is sweet enough to put up with my eccentricities.  We arrived in Batalha around 11:00, and we saw the spires of the Monastery.  We were surprised at how large the Monastery is.  I mean it is huge.  There are separate albums for each site we visited, and I haven’t put many comments.


Our next visit was to the Shrine of Fatima.  From the internet I knew the main building was pretty big.  The entire site is almost too big to describe.  From the parking area there was a very large round building that we think maybe used for Mass during times of large pilgrimages.  There is a vast open space between the round building and the shrine.  When we arrived there was a Mass going on in the Plaza.  There were supplicants crawling toward the Mass area on their hands and knees.  Basically three children, two girls and a boy saw the Virgin Mary in 1917.  This is a huge pilgrimage site, we visited in the off season.  


The third site I found by accident on Trip Advisor.  I saw a post about a National Park that has fossilized dinosaur tracks that is only about 10 km from Fatima.  We had to see them.  The tracks were made by Sauropods about 175 MILLION years ago!  By the time we arrived at the park the weather had turned pretty bad.  It was windy, rainy and cold.  Only the two park employees were there when we arrived.  You’ll see from the photos how bad the weather actually was.  The path to the tracks was uphill most of the way and it was 1.8 km long.  You can see how Sue humors me.  I have added a link to the Parks English web page, if you are interested.  One other note, I think Our Lady of Fatima was looking out for us, because the mist/fog lifted when we were trying to figure out how to get back to the parking lot.  The little map we had from the park split into several paths, and we were not sure which way to go.  Then the weather cleared and we saw that we were close to the main building.  We were soaked by the time we got back to the car.  Our umbrellas were just about destroyed, and Sue was soaked.  I was a bit better because my jacket was waterproof, both of our pants were soaked.  But we saw 175 MILLION year old dinosaur tracks, it was worth it.



Our next stop was to visit the Convento Christo in Tomar.  This was a Templar Castle that was converted into a convent.  By this time Sue had seen enough, so I went in on my own.  There was no guide or map in English.  This was another large place.  I took a lot of photos.  I haven’t added any comments because I’m out of gas.  I left the car running to keep Sue warm, but it must have an automatic feature because it shut off shortly after I left.  Sue was freezing by the time I got back to the car.  If you want more information see Google.  Our drive back to Lisbon was slow because of the rain and accidents on the tollway, so for much of the drive we were crawling in first/second gear.  We made it safely.  I dropped Sue at the hotel and the GPS had me driving around a bit before I got back to the rental car agency.

I have photos from two more days, but I won’t get to post them until we get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment