Sunday May 28 – June 2 Oslo to Amsterdam
This post will be more boring than usual, because primarily we were just flying from Oslo to Amsterdam, checking into and out of a hotel before moving into Jim & Nanny’s apartment.
Our May 28th flight on KLM, Oslo to Amsterdam had been re-scheduled to leave at 14:15, so we had plenty of time to get to the airport. We had breakfast at the hotel and walked about 10 min. to the train station. We arrived in plenty of time to take get a train to the airport. We went through security with only one problem, I forgot to take my laptop out of the backpack, but it was not a big deal. The flight was delayed about half an hour, but we landed pretty much on time, around 16:00. The schedule times have quite a bit of time built in so they avoid being ‘late’. We took the train into Amsterdam’s Central Station and then walked about 25 min. to our hotel, Pension Homeland. The hotel is close to Jim and Nanny’s apartment, they had suggested it for us. After checking in and getting settled we walked over to Jim and Nanny’s so we could be trained in how to take care of their two cats. I said we, but as usual, Sue does all the work. I just have to clean the cat litter boxes, something that matches my skill set. You will see pictures of the two female cats: Coco and Chanel. Chanel is just a bit bigger than Coco, but unless they are sitting next to each other we can’t tell them apart. The cats are a breed called Ocicat. “The Ocicat is a wild-looking feline with domestic origins, bred from a combination of Abyssinian, Siamese, and American shorthair breeds.” I took this right from the web site about the cats. The Spruce Pets.com If the link doesn’t work, and you really want to know more, just Google Ocicat. What I quoted above is all I’ve read.
Jim and Nanny have a lovely house/condo, I may get around to taking photos, but maybe not.
After that we were off to dinner at a restaurant nearby that we have been to before with Jim and Nanny.
On Monday May 29th we didn’t do much. Walked around central Amsterdam seeing what had changed since our last visit, not much. I took a few photos, and that was about it.
Tuesday May 30th Jim and Nanny left for New York, so we moved in at about 10:00. We unpacked, which takes about 5 min. We then went grocery shopping and got the essentials: coffee and beer; we actually did buy a few more items. We and the cats got acclimated, sort of. Amazingly I didn’t take any photos.
Wednesday May 31st again we didn’t do too much, recovering from our art adventure in Scandinavia. We went out to find a restaurant, the Smoked Crispy Bacon Sandwich House. We managed to find it and then ordered a sandwich to split between us. We got just the baguette with bacon. It was delicious.
Thursday June 1st Sue’s niece, Hanna and her husband Steve were arriving in the early afternoon. We met them at Central Station around 17:00, and then walked back to the apartment. After they got settled in we went out to eat at the same restaurant we went with Jim and Nanny. The restaurant was crowded, so we went to an outdoor table in their garden. They turned on an infrared heater and it wasn’t too bad. I took a few photos at the restaurant.
Friday June 2nd Steve and Hannah were up and out early for about a 2 mile run, bless them. After a shower they were ready to go out and see Amsterdam. Steve has planned a detailed daily itinerary, and they make every item on their list. We met them for lunch at a place called The Pantry. Sue and I ordered three starters to split as our meal: herring, eel, and sausages. Hannah and Steve ordered bitterballen as a starter and then two actual entries, which I don’t recall. There was beer of course. I took some photos. After our meal the two youngsters were off to see more items on their list. Sue and I walked home to rest and relax cause we’re old.
No comments:
Post a Comment