Thursday, June 1, 2023

 

Tuesday May 23, 2023, Stockholm

Today we were going to visit the Vasa Ship Museum.  The museum has a 64 gun war ship that was built from 1626-1628.  On the ship’s maiden voyage it SANK after only going 1300 meters!!!  Eventually the ship was recovered in 1961, and it was eventually restored and this museum was opened in 1990.  Per usual, I take too many photos, but that increases the chance some might be good.  After this museum we walked to the Royal Swedish Academy of Fine Arts.  We didn’t have specific paintings to see, but you never know what we might find.  We walked in the front door, and there weren’t any people around.  In the first room we came to, there were copies of famous sculptures.  We have actually seen quite a few of the original works, but don’t get me started.  I started taking photos, Sue headed upstairs to see what was on display.  After I had photos of everything I headed upstairs to find Sue.  In the first gallery I came to there was a crowd of young people listening to a speaker, apparently telling them something about the art.  Sue wasn’t in this room, so I walked around the crowd to get into the next room.  Sue wasn’t there either, but a lady from the group followed me and I told her I was looking for my wife.  She said maybe she was in the café, we looked and she wasn’t there.  I said I would go downstairs to see if she was there.  She was there.  Sue told me that a lady had told her the museum wasn’t open because they were getting ready for an exhibition.  I guess that is why we didn’t have to pay to get in.  So we left the museum and headed for the Nobel Prize Museum.  We signed up for a guided talk about the museum.  We had to wait a few minutes before the tour, so we looked around.  There isn’t much to see.  There are touch-screen panels for each decade.  You can touch the panel and select information about the different prizes awarded, i.e. economics, medicine, etc.  The talk didn’t work for us, so we left after a few minutes.  We walked around a bit to see a little more of Stockholm.  We stopped at a bar for what else, a beer.  We were joined at our outside table by gentleman, a little bit younger than us.  He was interested in how much violence there is in the US. Europeans just can’t believe how violent the US actually is.  This guy was well informed about American politics.  For example he was amazed how people in rural areas were against Obama Care, even though it would actually help them.  He even offered to buy us another beer, I think he just wanted to talk more about the US. But it was a bit too early for a second round, so we thanked him, but went back to the hotel before we went out for dinner.

Today was our 53rd wedding anniversary, and we were going to an Italian restaurant for dinner.  We started with a charcuterie plate.  What else would we do? For dinner Sue had the Osso Bucco with saffron risotto, and I had my usual pasta with sea food, and of course beer.  It was all good.

Tuesday May 23, 2023, Stockholm 

No comments:

Post a Comment