POSTED Jan 18, 2024
Jan 16, 2014 walk to Barcelona Olympic Area and Fundació Joan Miró
Today we were going to visit the Fundació Joan Miró because it was also having exhibition of works by Joan Miró and Pablo Picasso in conjunction with the Picasso Museum. I assume that the musuem’s shared paintings to fill out the exhibition at each museum. Unfortunately there are no 1001 paintings at the Fundació Joan Miró. The two paintings by Miró that we saw at the Picasso museum were actually loaned as part of the exhibition from the Fundació Joan Miró. I’m assuming that some ‘special’ Picasso paintings were loaned to the Fundació Joan Miró from the Picasso Museum for the Exhibition.
We plotted our route from the apartment to Fundació Joan Miró on Google maps and started out at our usual time, a few minutes after noon. We started out following the same route we used on Sunday Jan 14 on our walk to walk to Plaҫa d'Espanya. On the way we came across a bendy-bus that was blocked by parked truck (without a driver) from turning a corner. It was a real mess. The cars stuck on three roads were honking up a storm. We continued on our trek. Eventually our route began to go up and up. Barcelona’s elevation is about 40 ft., it is on the Mediterranean Sea. The elevation of the hill of Montjuïc is about 580 ft where the Fundació Joan Miró is located. There are at 3 or 4 escalators up to the top of the Montjuic in addition to other stairways. So we wouldn’t be able to climb that steep a hill.
We changed our route to get to Plaҫa d'Espanya so we could use the escalators instead of climbing to the top by foot. When we get to the top of Montiuic we saw a tall structure off to the right/east. This lead us around the side of the Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya to the Barcelona Olympic Area. Barcelona hosted the 1992 Olympics. There is an Olympic Stadium, a huge plaza, and an enclosed sports complex for indoor sports. We walked through the Olympic Area on the way to the Fundació Joan Miró. The Olympic Stadium is now being used by Football Club Barcelona (footie) while their stadium is being rebuilt. There is an open area of the stadium, so folks like us can go inside and take photos. There was also an Olympic Museum, we just went in to see if they had a pin I could buy for my collection, and they did! This first album has the photos I took on our way this far; there are 68 photos in this album. I should mention that I took 422 photos today. Sue was doing her best to put up with me. The next album of photos at the Fundació Joan Miró has 196; I think I took a photo of every painting, name card and additional information about some of the paintings. I hope I can post it tomorrow, you’ve been warned.
No comments:
Post a Comment