POSTED 01/07/24
Wednesday 01/03/24 Picasso Museum
Rae and Jude were off fairly early to visit Madrid, mainly to visit the Prado Museum. We will visit Madrid for a few days later on. Sue and I went to the Picasso Museum to see a special exhibition of works by Joan Miró. There are two paintings by Miró on the 1001 list. One, “Woman” is in a Private Collection, the second, “Awakening in the Early Morning” was at the Kimbell Art Museum. I contacted the Kimbell about the painting, because the Museum’s webpage for the painting listed it as Not on Display. Long story shorter: in May the museum told me “the painting was in our vault “resting” from light levels in the galleries for the past few months”. They told me to keep checking to see when it would be back on display. So that is what I did. I had saved the museums webpage for the painting so I could just click on the link and see if the painting might be on display; and of course it wasn’t. Then when I checked the link on 09/23/23 instead of seeing the painting I get this webpage:
It doesn’t tell me that the painting is not on display, it tells me that ACCESS IS DENIED, in large print. So I emailed a curator at the museum and got an INSTANT response MESSAGE BLOCKED. I tried a few other contacts, and I got the same message. It may be possible that the museum blocks all emails. But why would they list their addresses? Eventually I called the museum and got what sounded like a young lady at the front desk. I asked if she could tell me if this painting was or would be on display. She told me she would put on hold while she found out. I waited a few minutes and she came back to tell me that she was still checking, and put me on hold while she kept checking. A few minutes later she came back and told me that “the painting was no longer in the museum’s collection.” That was all she could tell me. Think about this, the “1001” book was published in 2006. It would have taken probably at least 1 or 2 years to put the book together. So the museum has had the painting for 16 or 17 years. And in May they still had the painting, now all of a sudden the painting “isn’t in the collection”? I’m tempted to send an anonymous letter to the Fort Worth Star Telegram asking them to investigate. But today newspapers can barely stay in business reporting on shootings every day. Enough of my sour grapes. So the paintings at the Picasso Museum will be a substitute for the missing painting. Just to warn you there are about 40 photos in the ‘Picasso-Miro’ album. The one I’m crying about and the substitutes are the first three if you aren’t as obsessed as I am.
After I’d seen all of the paintings by Miró we headed off to see the Sagrada Familia. Sue and I had visited the church on our visit in 2018, so we didn’t go inside today. As usual there was a very large crowd at the entrance. The link below is to the photos at the church I took in November 01, 2018 if you are interested, the photos start in Park Guell and then get to Sagrada Familia .

No comments:
Post a Comment