Oct 15, 2024 Manchester two Musuems
We took a plane from Belfast to Manchester on Monday Oct. 14th when both museums we were going to visit were closed. I had made an appointment to see one painting at the Manchester Art Gallery that was not on display. We had an appointment to meet Hannah Williamson to see our painting when the museum opened at 10:00 AM. We asked for Hannah at the front desk. She came out to meet us and lead us down to the basement storage area. This was a very old storage area. There were many moveable racks with paintings hanging on them. If you have ever been to a museum storage area you know what this looks like. I should have taken a photo; maybe the next time we visit a storage area. She removed our painting “Fortune's Well, Portland” by Edward Wadsworth from the rack and laid it on a table, and that is where I took the photo of #744/1001. This is a substitute, as I mention in the photo album for the 1001 painting that is in a private collection. We thanked her for showing us the painting, and then we did a quick tour to see ‘some’ of the paintings at the gallery. I only took a few photos because we were going to another museum to see another painting, and then it was off to the airport to catch our flight back to London. The Manchester Art Gallery has four other 1001 painting that we had seen on a visit in August, 2014. Back then I wasn’t searching for substitutes for paintings in private collection. My OCD hadn’t blossomed into the compulsion that I have now. Then we were off to the Whitworth Art Gallery to see a 1001 painting that was on display. I can only guess that when we were here in 2014 that this painting was not on display. It was a short bus ride to the Whitworth Art Gallery. We quickly found our painting "Nude 54" by Peter Lanyon, #745/1001. There was a large exhibition at the Gallery. "This was the first major survey exhibition by British artist Barbara Walker". I took, for me, very few photos of the exhibition, and then we were off to the airport for our flight back to London. Every thing went well and we checked into our London hotel The Fitzrovia Belle. It was a very successful day of painting hunting and travel. Be thankful that I didn't take many photos so you don't have worry.
Just wait for the next post. I hope to get to it later today. I took 406 photos! Now many are duplicates because I'm weaving a bit when I take a photo, so I do take multiples and hope that one is good, but it will be a bigger album.
No comments:
Post a Comment