Tuesday, October 7, 2014


Steve and Hannah did arrive Sunday but they had quite a trip.  Their flight was cancelled in Chicago because of mechanical problems.  They eventually got on another flight, I think about 4 hours later.  They arrived at Heathrow at about 12:30 local time.  We were there waiting for them, and waiting, and waiting…  They eventually came out around 14:30.  American had lost Steve’s checked bag.  The trip in from Heathrow to the apartment is about 90 minutes.  We stopped on the way home to have a Sunday Roast at a pub in our old neighborhood.  Because that was one of the things that Hannah wanted to do while in London.  We eventually got to the apartment around 18:00.  After a short stay they went out to Camden Town, oh to have the energy of a 25-26 year old!  They came in before 21:00. 

Steve has done some planning so they can try to see as much as possible.  Monday they were off early and didn’t get back until late.  We were in bed by then.  They meet a couple of British exchange students Steve had gone to college with for a year.  That was about seven years ago.  Today was a much nicer day than yesterday (rainy) so Steve wants to go to the London Eye to see the sun set at 18:24. I did mention that Steve plans a lot.  We visited the Wellcome Collection, it was founded by the Wellcome Trust that was in turn founded by Sir Henry Wellcome.  It has exhibits with some of the stuff he collected, the exhibits are often have a medical theme.  It was very interesting.  After that we set off to find the grave of Sir John Soane of the Soane’s House Museum that we have visited several times.  He is buried at the Old St. Pancras Church.  We have been by the Church several times on the bus, so it wasn’t hard to find.  We went into the Church to buy a guide.  Sue asked what was the Church’s denomination, Anglican, Roman Catholic, etc.  We were told that it was “High Anglican”.  I’ll have to look that one up.  I took a few photos of the Church and the cemetery that is now a park.

I have been going to the British Museum to look up the objects in the book “A History of the World in 100 Object”.  I thought it would be easy since they are all at the museum.  But believe it or not they are not all on display!  I need to organize the list to make the search easier.  Just starting with #1 and working up the list isn’t the most efficient way to go.  Anyway that’s enough for now.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment