Monday, June 12, 2017



June 3, 2017       Our third full day in Moscow (added to blog June 12, 2017)

This is the complete post for Saturday June 3rd

Saturday June 3rd we were off to the Tretyakov, which has two separate galleries, one on Lavrushinsky Lane with two Icons on the 1001 list and the other gallery on Krymsky Val with one painting on the 1001 list.  I’ve been checking weekly and they are all on display, or so I thought.  We started at Lavrushinsky with the Icons and Pre-20th century paintings.  We found the two Icons on the list.  This gallery had multiple versions of the “Trinity” Icon and the “Dormition of the Virgin”.”  That was or is the practice with Icons.  Each painting had small differences, but the subject was always the same.  The next gallery was about a 20 minute walk along the Moskva River.  There is a tremendous amount of construction going on many of the streets in Moscow, and of course we had to detour on our way to Krymsky Val.  It appears that they are installing new natural gas lines along the streets.  There were bundles of polyethylene piping at most of the construction sites.  One of my many jobs had a little to do with joining pipe sections.

As you can see from the photos we passed several interesting sights on cuisinethe walk to the next gallery.  The Peter the Great Monument is very impressive.  We eventually got to the gallery on Krymsky Val only to find out that the painting on our list was NOT on display!  In fact there were no paintings in gallery 9 where the Kandinsky (I really like his work) was supposed to have been.  We learned that it was part of an exhibition that may be at the New York Guggenheim this fall.  This may require another trip if I can confirm that this painting will be on display.  The interesting thing about this painting (at least to me) is that I checked the museum’s web pages I had saved showing the painting on display.  All of the web pages I had bookmarked for this gallery could not be found.  I was directed to a new, updated web site.  My assumption is that they were working on the release of the new web site and did NOT bother updating the old one.  Tracking down these paintings isn’t always easy.

There were two paintings at Krymsky Val that I MAY use as substitutes for two paintings in St. Petersburg that “per the State Russian Museum” web site are not on display.  The first is the painting “Peasants Picking Apples” by Natalia Goncharova at Tretyakov; the very similar painting not on display is “Peasants.”  The Krymsky had “Black Square” by Kasimir Malevich on display (his most notable work) that I MAY substitute for the “Black Circle” by Malevich that isn’t on display.  I know you want to know this stuff.

The gallery at Krymsky Val is not far from Gorky Park, so that was our next destination.  It was a nice day, sunny and not too warm.  It is a popular place.  The photos show just some of what is going on.  After the park we returned to the hotel for to rest up before dinner.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment