June
16, 2017 Warsaw-Krakow
We
had made an appointment at the Muzeum Narodowe (National Musuem) to see the
painting “Battle Between Russians and Kosciuszko Forces in 1801” by Orlowski,
Aleksander. We had NOT seen this exact
painting on our 2013 visit to Warsaw, but we did see very similar battle
paintings by Orlowski so we added it to our list. I contacted the museum to see if it would be
on display when we visited. This
painting is a watercolor and is not put on display, but a visit can be arranged
to see it, and that is what we did. We
wandered between various entrances before we were directed to the proper one. Kamilla, one of the young lady I had been
corresponding with met us and took us to a room to see the painting. This is always a neat experience for us. We really get to see the painting up
close. I’m not sure of the procedure
used to make a watercolor. I think the
artist sketches the outline of figures, buildings, etc. and then paints them
in. Some of the figures and shapes have
a definite outline, while others don’t.
I guess that it why they are the artists and not me. We could take a photo of the painting which I
did, but not publish it, which I didn’t.
I think almost every painting in the world is available somewhere on the
internet, and that is where I got the photo in this album.
Kamilla
then told us that they were working with the Chicago Art Institute on an
exhibition (drawings I think) for 2018 or 2019.
Someone from the Muzeum Narodowe would be accompanying their art work to
Chicago. Sue instantly told her we live
a short walk from the Art Institute.
Kamilla didn’t know if it would be her or someone else, but she said it
would be nice to know someone in Chicago.
We told her we would love to show Chicago to whoever accompanies the
artwork. It would allow us to show them
the same kindness they did to us by letting us see this painting. So we will have to see what develops.
Then
we were off to take the train to Krakow.
There were no paintings on the list in Krakow, but there was one by
Leonardo (that we had seen in London) and one on the list in a town a couple of
hours east of Krakow. We were also going
to meet Sue’s cousin Michal, who we had met before, and then visit a small town
where there two older ladies lived that were related to both Michal and Sue.
When
we arrived in Krakow the first thing we did was pick up tickets for an
overnight sleeper train we had booked for the trip from Krakow to Vienna. The tickets could not be mailed but had to be
picked up in Krakow. That actually went
off without any problems, amazing. Then
we walked to the Francuski Hotel in Krakow’s Old Town. After we settled in Sue contacted Michal to
arrange to meet in the Town Square and then go to dinner. The last time we met Michal we talked about
Sue’s Aunt Adella who had visited years earlier with her daughter-in-law, Joan
to meet the ladies in the town of Zembrzyce (six consonants in a row!!!). Michal has never visited them, so he was as
eager as Sue to meet them. I think Sue’s
grandfather and Michal’s great-grandfather were brothers and the ladies may be
daughters to another brother. They were
cousins to Sue’s Mom, Stacy and Aunt Adella.
We think/hope Joan had diagramed this out. She has been a real hero on figuring out the
Sue’s family tree. Anyway that was
planned for Sunday the 18th, because Michal, who is 35 actually has
to work. We planned to visit the Muzeum
Narodowe in Krakow and the Warwal Castle on Saturday, and Michal would pick us
up Sunday for our visit to Zembrzyce.
No comments:
Post a Comment