Tuesday, June 6, 2017



June 1, 2017       Moscow: Lenin’s Mausoleum, Pushkin 19th & 20th Europe & American Paintings and the Pushkin Fine Arts Museum

The first item on our “To-Do” list was the Lenin Mausoleum.  The Trip Advisor travel forum has many posts warning you NOT to bring any cameras, phones, bags, etc. because these items are not allowed.  The posts also warned to be there early because the lines are very long, and you may not get in because the mausoleum is only open from 10:00-13:00.  We arrived just before 10:00 and the line wasn’t very long and it started moving shortly after we arrived.  People had cameras, bags, phones etc. and they let us go through the metal detectors.  It was no big deal.  The guard at the metal detector smiled MORE than anyone else we’ve seen in Moscow.  Just another note, there are guards and metal detectors everywhere: Metro stations, shopping malls, museums, churches, etc.; there are also uniformed men all over the place.  Along the Kremlin wall are the graves of notable Russians, and I took a few photos.  When you enter the mausoleum it is dark so going down the stairs is tricky as it takes time for your eyes to adjust.  You keep moving around Lenin and then up the stairs and out.  I don’t think we were in there more than two minutes, and going down and up the stairs was probably halve the time.  After visiting Lenin we went to the Cathedral of St. Basil which is on Red Square.  It is the iconic building that I think everyone can recognize.  We didn’t go inside, we’ll see the inside of enough churches.  As we were walking out of the square we noticed a crowd with TV cameras and reporters at the Historical Museum, so we stopped to see what was going on.  Two guys came out and one said something and then the cut a ribbon and released some balloons.  We assume that they were opening a new exhibition.  After the little ceremony they opened the doors and we moved with the crowd to enter, but they only let the press inside.  The stern looks on the attendants faces was enough to freeze your blood.  Our hotel, the Savoy is close to Red Square, so we went back for a short break.  

We took a bus to the Pushkin Museum to see three of the four 1001 paintings they have.  Moscow has a great subway system, but we like to take buses if we can because you get to see more.  The bus dropped us off right in front of the museum.  I knew from checking the museum’s web site that one of the four paintings would not be on display.  The museum also has one painting on another list we have: “Paintings That Changed the World”.  The Pushkin has two buildings, our paintings were in the collection of 19th & 20th Century Paintings of Europe and America.  I got a little anxious as we went through the first floor of the gallery because we didn’t find any of our paintings.  Thankfully all three were in one of the last rooms on the second floor.  We then went to the Pushkin Fine Arts building.  They have a great collection of Flemish and Dutch paintings.  They also have many, many copies of famous sculptures.  After the museums it was the bus back to the hotel so Sue could find us another place to eat.  I think this takes more work than tracking down paintings.  We went to a place called Odessa Mama that was about a 15minute walk from the hotel.  It was great, I’m sure we were by far the oldest people there.  They told us we would have to wait about 20 minutes for a table, but I hadn’t even finished paying for our beer before they came to take us to our table.  Sue went off with the hostess while I waited for my change and then I wandered around until I found her.  For a starter we had herring with little boiled potatoes.  This is probably heresy, but the herring in Moscow is better than Amsterdam’s.  Sue had chicken with cheese, spinach and noodles and I had the pork kvass, and of course more beer.  It was all great.  That was it for our first full day in Moscow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment