Friday March
17, 2018 London
I’m a day late, so you are I in luck, because this post may
be shorter. We started out taking the
bus to the Wallace collection to see a painting on the “149 European”
list. The weather was pretty good, sunny
and in the mid 50’s. We had been to the
Wallace Collection before to see four 1001 paintings. This time we were there to see the “Portrait
of George IV” by Sir Thomas Lawrence. We were successful. The Wallace Collection is a very nice size
gallery, it is easy to see in a reasonable time. We were then off to visit the National
Gallery. We had a bit of a walk to the
bus stop to catch our bus. We saw a
number of Blue Plaques along the way.
The London County Council (and a few other unofficial groups) put up
plaques to identify where notable people lived, or where an important event
took place. We also saw an alligator
display along the way. Close to
Trafalgar Square, where the National Gallery is located we got off the bus to
get a cup of coffee. Sue needed one more
purchase on here Nero Coffee House card to get a FREE cup, and that was more
than enough reason to stop. The weather
was so nice we sat outside on Regent Street.
This is a posh shopping street in London.
I took a few photos in Trafalgar
Square just to show you that I can take photos of something besides paintings
and the inside of museums. I only took a
photo of “Whistle Jacket” at the National Gallery. This is really a spectacular museum if you
like art, it has it all.
Our next stop was a short walk
to the Courtauld Institute to see another “149” painting. This is another small gallery with some
wonderful paintings. We were successful. Then it was another bus back to the hotel to
rest a bit before dinner.
We walked to a very nice pub
that was more of an upscale restaurant.
Sue does all the research on where to eat. Sue had a fish soup that was delicious, I had
a fish-mashed potato pie, Friday in Lent don’t you know. Mine wasn’t so good. It was mostly mash, the fish must have been
very small pieces, since I really didn’t notice it. The highlight was that there was a small dog
roaming the restaurant. He didn’t beg
for food, he just kept walking around looking nervous. His name was “Nuts.” The desert, sticky toffee pudding and the
beer, Belgian were very good. I’ll have
to catch up on Saturday’s post on the train to Calais tomorrow.
Have a good crossing!
ReplyDeleteWe had a good crossing. We picked up the car and we visited several WW I sites and arrived at our B&B in Lepers. We say the Last Post at the Menin Gate in Lepers and then had a wonderful meal.
ReplyDelete