Saturday March 31, 2018 Amiens
WW I driving tour March 21, 2018
As you can see I am a bit behind on posting photos. We are in Dijon, and I’m positing photos from
11 days ago. On the 21st we
started off at the Glade of the Armistice that is not too far from Paris. This is where WW I ended. The Germans were forced to sign a treaty that
eventually led to WW II. Very close to
the Glade is a Memorial to the last (?) 1,250 Jewish men, women and children
that were shipped to their death at Buchenwald from Paris. The marker is at the stop on the rail line
where they were loaded on to the train.
The French just buried a 90+ woman survivor of the death camps that was
killed by a neo-Nazi. Things haven’t
changed much have they?
Our next stop was at the Château de Chantilly it has a 1001
painting. It also has a painting by a
follower of Caravaggio. I went nuts
taking photos of any painting by any artist on my various lists. The opulence is almost overwhelming, and I
think the châteaux in the Loire Valley go far beyond Chantilly. Of course we are going there in a few weeks. Normally I would be boring you with
information on Chantilly, but then I would never get the photos posted.
Remember the two places we skipped yesterday? Well we went back to see them today, or I
just put the photos in the wrong folder.
The Lochnager Crater is the largest we’ve seen. If you want to know more look it up. The Basilica of Notre-Dame de Brebières in
Albert has obviously been restored, and you can see the gold statue from pretty
far away.
We are resting a bit (something we are pretty good at)
before we go out for dinner at a bar we passed today that has a sign in the
window that says “Yes we are f**king open.
Then it will be off to the Eglise Notre Dame for a 21:00 Mass.
On Good Friday there wasn’t much open in Strasbourg and
Colmar, but today, Holy Saturday Dijon was open for business. We are a bit concerned that on Easter Sunday
many places won’t be open. The museum we
want to see tomorrow doesn’t list Easter as one of the holidays when it is
closed. But Museum web sites are not
always the best sources of information.
You may hear about this in a week to 10 days if I keep posting at the
same pace. Anyway have a Blessed Easter,
and don’t eat too much candy.
No comments:
Post a Comment