Thursday, November 14, 2019


Tuesday Nov 12, 2019 – Amsterdam to Hamburg

It rained most of Monday, so we stayed home.  Tuesday we were off to Hamburg to see three 1001 paintings at the Hamburg Kunsthalle.  We had a 5+ hour train ride with one change.  Long story short, the first train had a problem and everyone had to get off in Rheine, which wasn’t where we were supposed to change.  We got another train about an hour later.  So instead of arriving in Hamburg at 14:18, we arrived at about 15:30.  Our hotel wasn’t far from the Hamburg Hbf, so we checked in, dropped our bags and headed to the museum.  It was only a 15 min walk, very convenient. Now for the longer story. I was in email correspondence with a lady at the museum about which of the 9 paintings we wanted to see were on display.  I mistakenly gave her the inventory number for a painting we had seen on our last visit in 2017.  So she responded that 4 paintings (including the one we’ve seen) would be on display from Oct 12 to Dec 02, when we could visit. After running around the museum at least 3 times we had only seen one new painting and the painting we had seen in 2017.  I am sure the staff was very happy to see us leave, because I must have shown 4 of them photos of the paintings we wanted to see.  None of them even recognized the one painting that was actually on display.  This brings our total to 705/1001. I did take a lot of photos, especially the Dutch painters. After all that we needed a beer.  Sue had checked out a bar/café that had good reviews, and it wasn’t far from the museum.  We ordered the meat and cheese plate and beer.  The food was very good, we even ordered dessert, and as always we really enjoyed ourselves.  

Then it was back to the hotel.  I did email my contact at the museum to check if the two new paintings we wanted to see were actually on display.  Our plan for tomorrow was to visit the Elbphilharmonie that has a viewing platform over Hamburg and its port.  Then we would visit the Deichtorhallen to see an art exhibition of four modern painters, who have a total of 8 paintings on the 1001 list, and we’ve seen 4 of the 8.  Then depending what I hear from the Kuntshalle I may visit it again, just to be sure we somehow didn't miss the 2 1001 paintings,



No comments:

Post a Comment