Wednesday, November 6, 2019


Tuesday Nov 5, 2019 - Amsterdam Poezenboot & Nieuwe Kerk

We started the day by heading to the Poezenboot (Cat boat).  This is a cat refuge.  On the way we stopped to take a few photos of the Schreiestoren.  We’ve walked by this tower almost every day.  This was another tower in the old city wall.  Henry Hudson departed from here on his voyage to North America in 1609.  We popped into the Basilica of St. Nicholas, another place we walk by often.  Mass was just starting, so we’ll have to return at another time.
We made it to the Poezenboot where there several people waiting to go in.  They only allow in  about 15 people at a time.  Sue asked if credit cards were accepted, and no, only cash.  So I set off to find the nearest ATM.  Google Maps had one about 0.3 miles.  On the way back I had to take a few photos.  Sue was already inside so I handed her the cash.  I didn’t go in, as there were already the allotted number inside. 
Our next destination was the Nieuwe Kerk on Dam Square.  The exhibition at the Kerk was The Great Suriname.  Suriname was once a colony of the Netherlands.  I have to admit that there was too much information for me.  Something you may feel when looking at all my photos of paintings you don’t really care about.  I took a few photos of the exhibits, but I didn’t listen to the audio guide.  I took more photos of the church and Admiral Ruyter’s tomb than the exhibit. Then it was back to the apartment to rest up before we went out for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment