Wednesday, November 6, 2019


Wednesday Nov 6, 2019 – Amsterdam van Gogh Museum
The van Gogh Museum is our objective today.  I took photos as we walked to the museum. The collection is primarily van Gogh’s paintings, duh, what else would it be.  Vincent only sold one painting during his lifetime.   Most people know something of van Gogh’s turbulent life. Vincent’s bother Theo and his wife Johanna supported him.  Theo was an influential art dealer in Paris.  Vincent killed himself in July, 1890 and Theo died in January, 1891.  Johanna played a key role in the growth of Vincent's fame and reputation through her donations of his work to various early retrospective exhibitions.  Many of Vincent’s paintings are self-portraits, still lives, and scenery. He could not afford to pay models. Sue, Vincent, and Eric Clapton share a birthday March 30, she wanted you to know this.

Now how I took some photos in the Museum.  We had started on the second floor, where I asked the attendant if I could take photos.  She told me that photos were only allowed on the 1st floor by the Sunflowers.  When we got to the 1st floor, that gallery had the Sunflowers painting in the album.  There was an attendant in the gallery and people were taking photos of all the paintings and the attendant care, so I thought it was okay to take photos.  I was wrong, Sue told me that the attendant from the 2nd floor had just told people that photos were not allowed.  I had already taken four photos of three paintings, but I didn’t take any more.  There was a wall elsewhere on the 1st floor that was covered with a giant version of the “Sunflowers” where you could take photos of friends and family in front of the Sunflowers. 

We stopped by the Seafood Bar on the way home and picked up my scarf that I left at the restaurant last night, so it was a pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment