POSTED Feb 06, 2024
Feb 01, 2024 2024 02 01 Toledo
Today we were off to Toledo to visit the Cathedral Primada, because that is where the painting “St. John the Baptist” by Caravaggio is located. We had the buffet breakfast at 7:30 at the hotel, then we took a Metro (subway) to the Atocha train station. We then took the 10:15 train to Toledo where we arrived at 10:51. Just outside the station we caught a bus that took us up hill to a stop about a 7 min. walk to the Cathedral. You’ll see from some of the photos that there are many tourist shops in Toledo. We had purchased our tickets on line, and there was no line to get into the Cathedral. It is an amazing building, different from any Church we have seen before. The Cathedral is huge, it is 120 meters long, 60 meters wide and 44 meter high. Last fall when planning this visit I checked out the Cathedral’s web site. The site said an audio guide was available, but it required a refundable deposit, but it didn’t say how many Euro were required. I emailed the Cathedral to see how much money we would need, since nobody, including us, uses money anymore. They got back quickly to say that when we visited there would be a free phone app, so no money would be required. I of course forgot about the app, which I guess was good news for our visit. If I had gotten the app my comments on the photos and this post would probably would probably have never ended. Of course I could still get the app and add even more scintillating comments to the photos, something to think about. Back to the visit. After we had seen and photographed most everything we headed back to the bus stop, and then to the train station for the ride back to Madrid. We got back to the station in time to share a sandwich and Coke at the station’s café. We arrived back in Madrid at about 14:10. Cathedral's information page about the Monstrance, again more than you need to know.
Toledo Catedral Primada - Monstrance
The Prado Museum is a short walk from the train station so that was our next stop. Fortunately for EVERYONE, the Prado does not allow photos of the artworks. I of course had a list of paintings that we had seen before, but I can always see them again. I downloaded the free map of the museum. We were able to use it for a while, but when I looked up something else on my phone I couldn’t find the app. It was probably good for us as we were starting to wear down. We went back to the hotel to rest up before going out for dinner. Sue had picked out another tapas bar near the hotel. This bar was on the Gran Via, and the other customers all seemed to be locals who knew each other. As usual, it was all very good.
No comments:
Post a Comment