Thursday, February 22, 2024

POSTED Feb 21, 2024

Feb 21, 2024       Stolpersteine (German for Stumbling Stones)

Sue got curious to see if Barcelona had any of the Stolpersteine/Stumbling Stones. A Stumbling Stone is a ten-centimetre (3.9 in) concrete cube bearing a brass plate inscribed with the name and life dates of victims of Nazi extermination or persecution.  We first saw them in Berlin on our first visit.  We have also seen many Stones in Amsterdam.  Sue did some internets searching and found this web site about the Stones in Barcelona:

Stolpersteine Barcelona  

This the page in Catalan, your computer may ask to translate it too English.  If not this ‘may be’ a link to a page I had Google translate into English.  I hope it works if you need it.

Stolpersteine in English - I hope

The web page lists 20 Stones in Barcelona.  I have seen, and photographed 17 of the plaques.  I went to two locations listed by the web site, but there were no plaques at these two locations.  I looked on both sides of the street for a couple of blocks in both directions for each location.  I have viewed the last site that I haven’t visited on Google Maps.  I can’t see anything that looks like a brass plaque in the sidewalk at the address.  I may eventually take the bus rides and check out if this last plaque is actually there.  Steve and Hannah, Sue’s niece are visiting us this week, and we leave at the end of the week.  So I may have to check it out on our next visit.

Speaking of our next visit I have to tell you about what we learned about moving to Spain while we were having a beer at an outside table today.  Steve asked where Jude, our son lived in the city.  She told him that him that he lived at 850 S. Clark in Chicago.  Just as she said this, a man walking by said he used to live on S. Clark in Chicago.  The shorter story is that he is a retired American, and he and his wife live in Barcelona.  Sue asked how he managed that.  He explained the Non Lucrative Visa, NLV allows them to live here.  He explained more about the process, basically you have to have a certain guaranteed income and health insurance.  There is a bit more to it: a residence (at least a rental), stay at least 6 months/year, pay Spain’s income tax (this could be the problem), etc. and I won’t bore you with the rest.  We have a new project, Sue is already investigating. 

STOLPERSTEINE (Stumbling Stones) 

No comments:

Post a Comment