POSTED Feb 12, 2024
Feb 06, 2024 Church walk 02/06/24
Today were off to see the remaining five churches on our cards. We started with Sant Pere de Les Puel-les. This turned out to be a small church. There were not many information cards, which is a plus and a minus. The plus is I don’t have to write up a detailed description of every photo, AND you don’t have to read it. The minus is that I/we don’t know much about many of the objects in the church.
The next place we visited was Casa de l'Almoina, which is not actually a church. It is currently the headquarters of the Diocesan Museum of Barcelona, and again not very big. But there were information cards for each item!!
The third church was Santa Maria del Mar. It is a good size church. There are 34 small chapels around the church. We/Sue picked up the booklet that names all the chapels. Fortunately for all of us I didn’t use it to add comments to the photos.
The fourth church was the Church of Sant Felip Neri, is a small sized church (thankfully). We picked up the little information sheet for the church. Unfortunately for me writing about the photos almost a week later, the booklet isn’t much help. It only has three photos, and two of these were easy to identify without help. The third photo was of the Sacristy, and that was helpful.
The fifth church was The Church of the Sacred Heart on Mount Tibidabo. I pointed out this church when we were on the roof of the Cathedral. Google maps gave us several options to get there. There is a funicular line involved in getting to the top of Tibidabo. When I Googled how to get to the top I saw one item that said the funicular line wasn’t running. So I used a Google Map route that used buses instead of the funicular. Well this didn’t go well. We took the train from Placa Catalunya to a stop where we were to take the first of two buses. The bus driver didn’t speak English, and why would he? We told him Tibidabo, and he was trying to tell us something in Catalan that of course we didn’t understand. I should add that it was a very small bus, and there was no one else on the bus. He finally waved us on, and we took off. After about 15-20 min. I spotted the Church of the Sacred Heart on Mount Tibidabo on ANOTHER HILL from the one we were on!! We stayed on the bus until it got us back to the train stop where we got on this bus. We admitted defeat, and took the train back to Placa Catalunya. Or day was done. I’ll have to do more searching to see how we get to that church, and get photos of Barcelona from atop Tibidabo. I should add that some of Google Map’s routes show trips going up the hill next to Tibidabo, but it wasn’t the ride we were on; at least I don’t think it was.
No comments:
Post a Comment