Sunday, May 22, 2016



May 19, 2016

Vatican Museums today.  8 paintings on the list.  We have already seen 3 of them in 2006.  They are part of the Sistine Chapel.  We weren’t doing this hunt, but we did see them.  We will again today.
Ray got online tickets so we were able to skip the long line for entry.   The line for people without online tickets was long, but we remember 10 years ago before the online tickets, the line was unreal.  We stood for hours just to get in, and that was in October.

Anyway we breezed right in and joined the line to enter the museums.  Probably the majority of people want to see the Sistine Chapel which is about the size of a grade school gym.  We branched off to see our additional 5 paintings in the Pinacoteca.  This part of the tour was really nice.  Most of the rooms were literally empty.

We wandered from section to section and saw some really nice stuff.  Not all religious.  The contemporary museum was surprising.  Lots of famous artists.  Maybe some of our weekly donations go to purchase some of this art.  

Made it to the Sistine Chapel, and it is impressive to say the least.  They pack the place and encourage you to keep walking, but most people linger.  

On the way out there are about 3 or 4 gift shops.  I was very tempted to get a scarf of the ceiling of the chapel, but I refrained.  It was about $100.  I do have an anniversary coming up next week though.

Leaving the Vatican we decided to look for a particular shop.  I brought my plastic cone filter coffee device.  I brought some filters with me, but thought I could get some here.  I was so wrong.  We searched for days for these things.  No one even knew what I was talking about.  I even had a filter in my purse and no one even knew what it was for.  They drink those crappy tiny cups of espresso.  I need a full mug or two of coffee.

So last week when I asked a shopkeeper about the filters she gave me the name of a shop near the Vatican.  We went there and voila.  Filters.  This place, Castroni, was amazing.  All the coffee and tea you could ask for.  Crackers, cookies, candy, etc.  It went on and on.  I could have spent hours in there, but I was totally spent from our 4 plus hours at the Vatican.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment