June 21, 2016
Saturday we moved over to Jim and
Nanny’s apartment to look after Frau Donitz (their cat) while they were on a short
vacation in Germany. It is not even a 5
minute walk from our place.
Sunday we went grocery shopping
with Nanny’s cart so we could buy more than Belgian waffles and cookies. In the afternoon I went out for a walk and
took a few photos. On previous visits I
would do this almost every day taking photos of anything that caught my
eye. Sunday it was a couple of cats and
a plaque on a building. I did go through
Dam Square and there were the usual “Buskers” attracting crowds. I didn’t take their photos because if I did,
I’d feel obligated to give them some money.
Because that is why they are there.
The most interesting one, to me anyway, was the young lady in a thong
who has her partner painting her body.
There were quite a few fellas getting their picture taken with her. There was also a Scottish bagpiper in full
uniform. On a previous trip I took Sue’s
photo with “Bagpiper Steve,” but this was a different guy. He was actually at a food cart eating a hot
dog.
Monday it rained most of the day
so we did even less than usual, which is not much. Mid-morning we heard sirens (?) or horns so
we looked out the front window. We saw a
couple of police officers on a patrol boat parked at the corner a couple of
buildings down from Jim’s where the Groenburgwal canal runs into the Amstel
River. But they were just eating their
sandwiches, but we could see a couple of tour boats stationery in the
river. So I went out to see what was
going on. Well the river was full of
tour boats. The boat operators were
protesting that the city is once again going to redistribute licenses for boats
between 14 and 20 meters long. Which
based on the number of boats in the river is quite a few.
Apparently the city thinks the 14 meter boats are better. The longer boats were built to the older
maximum length of 20 meters. I probably
wouldn’t be too happy either if I had a 20 meter boat. My observation is that there are more boats than needed now. It seems like most of
the canal tour boats are seldom full, but again it isn’t my ox that is being
gored.
Tuesday the 21st we
went back to the Hermitage to see the new exhibition about Catherine the
Great. The Amsterdam Hermitage is a
branch of the Hermitage Museum of St. Petersburg. It is the largest satellite of the St. Petersburg
Hermitage. The St. Petersburg Museum
actually has six paintings on the 1001 list.
But based on the years of Catherine’s reign, 1762 to 1796, I didn’t have
much hope that any of the six paintings would be on display, five of the six on the 1001 list were painted after her reign. And they weren’t. It was still a very interesting exhibit. I may have to read about Catherine when we
get home.
Tomorrow we are going visit the
Six Collection which is a private museum in Amsterdam. It doesn’t have a painting on our list, but
it does have the portrait of Jan Six by Rembrandt painted in 1654, and that is
enough. The museum is in a private home
about a 10 minute walk from our apartment, and it is still owned by the Six
family. You have to request a
visit. Once again you lucked out because
the museum doesn’t allow photos. Footie
is just about to start so I’ll let you know how our visit goes tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment