Sunday, June 26, 2016



June 25, 2016

Saturday morning we took the train to Eindhoven to visit the Abbemuseum, a modern art museum that has a few paintings on display that we can substitute for paintings on that 1001 list that are in private collections.  The train ride was about an hour and twenty minutes, easy peasy.

Just 5 minutes from the station is an art installation that we had to see.  It is called “Flying Pins.”  The installation is by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen.  They have collaborated on sculptures of ordinary objects on a colossal scale.   You may have seen an Oldenburg sculpture in Chicago.  He designed the bat before he teamed with Bruggen.  It is the Batcolumn (baseball bat, not Batman) at the Social Security Administration building at 600 W. Madison.  We have also seen another of Oldenburg & Bruggen’s works in the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, the “Spoonbridge and Cherry”, but I digress.

From the “Pins” we walked to the Van Abbemuseum.  It is a compact museum with a very nice collection.  It has works by many artists we have heard off.  I went overboard with the comments in the photo album so I’ll be brief here.  We’ve added two substitutes for paintings by Warhol and Saura.  This gets us to 595/1001.  I rambled on about other paintings at the museum that are by artists who have paintings on our list.  My only excuse for this is that we were watching Euro 2016 (footie) and in about 99% of all three games we sort of watched nothing happens.  Now I know that soccer fans can say the same about baseball, but I like baseball.  I’m rambling again aren’t I?  So I’ll stop.
 
Eindhoven June 25 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment