Sunday, July 2, 2017



June 20, 2017     Vienna to Innsbruck

The “Sleeper” train arrived in Vienna at 6:55 and we had a 7:55 train to Innsbruck that arrived at 12:45.  That was a lot of train riding from Krakow-Lancut-Krakow-Vienna-Innsbruck.  Our hotel in Innsbruck was a short walk from the station.  After checking in we decided to take the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus tour because it would take us to the Schloss Ambras a Castle/Palace that had the 1001 painting we came to see.  I’ll make it short; the painting was NOT there!  I had checked with the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna and they told me this painting is at the Schloss Ambras in the Habsburg Gallery.  I had emailed the Schloss Ambras asking if the painting would be on display when we visited, and they told me it would be.  The museum showed this painting on their web page for the Habsburg Portrait Gallery, so I thought we were good to go.  We wouldn’t have gone to Innsbruck if I had been told it wasn’t on display.  A lady at the Castle went with me through the three floors of the Habsburg Gallery to show me that it was NOT there.  She said the painting was in Vienna.  Oh well, this isn’t the first time this has happened (hint) and it won’t be the last time either.  The mountains around Innsbruck are impressive to someone from Illinois.  The Castle has many paintings, as you’ll see.

The bus tour took us to a place called the Tirol Panorama for a 20 minute stop for photographs.  This was a close as public transport would get us to Bergisel, the Olympic Ski Jump venue.  There were also various monuments here that could try to take my mind off the missed painting.  As you’ll see from the comments on the photos my determination to identify everything I see is flagging.  By the end of the bus tour I was nodding off in my seat, and Sue had to keep nudging me awake. We of course had a wonderful dinner.  But after dinner Sue went to bed at 19:00, I went out for a walk but was back in bed by 20:00.  Our hotel room was nice, but very hot, no A/C, but we had a fan.  So ended our day in Innsbruck.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment