Sunday, July 9, 2017



July 2, 2017         Hamburg

Sunday morning we were off to Hamburg, the train ride is just under two hours, easy peasy.  Our hotel was across the street from the Hamburg Hbf, about a 10 minute walk, and the Hamburger Kunsthalle was across the street from the hotel.  After checking in it was across the street to the museum.  We hoped to see six paintings based on my email communications with the museum.  The Kunsthalle has 24 paintings that are on the 1001 list.  We saw nine when we were there in 2011.  We ended up seeing five of the six.  My email communications took place back at the beginning of February, so five of six is pretty good.

While in the museum we saw a crowd marching with banners and flags.  We didn’t know if it was a demonstration or football fans.  We went back to the hotel to rest, it really is time for us to go home.  I went out to get a couple of sodas and snacks (for me that means candy).  I asked the deskman if anything was open on Sunday.  The only place to get anything was back at the train station, so that is where I went.  On my way back I saw a group of at least 20 cops go into our hotel, and then a second group, and even more came in while I waited for the elevator.  I asked one of the guys what was up and he told me the G20 was in Hamburg next week.  The march we saw must have been related to the G20.

We eventually went back to the train station for dinner, we split a brat and fries, but we each had our own large beer.  Germany was playing someone so we watched the match for a while.  Then it was back to the hotel to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment