Sunday, July 9, 2017



July 3, 2017         Hamburg to Amsterdam

The train ride to Amsterdam is about five hours with one change.  It is remarkable how exhausting it can be to sit for five hours.  Maybe it’s because we are old, but for whatever reason we are tired when we arrive.  We stayed at the same hotel when we were here a month ago.  This time we were on the third floor without an elevator, and almost spiral stairs, so this added to our fatigue.  We rested up before we went out to meet our Amsterdam friends Jim and Nanny.  They recently moved into a new apartment that we were eager to see.  

We had stayed at their previous place several times.  It is classic Amsterdam canal house, and it is beautiful, but it was on the fourth floor.  Their new place is on the ground floor, and it is quite a bit bigger.  I’ll just sum it up by saying we are jealous, their new place is gorgeous.  We also got to see our old friend “Frau Dönitz” Jim and Nanny’s cat.  She had a stroke earlier this year, and she is slowly recovering.  

We went to dinner at a restaurant that is in the old naval dockyard.  Vincent van Gogh lived in the dockyard with his uncle for a year, so I had to take a photo of the plaque.  The restaurant is also a micro-brewery, so not only was the food delicious, but the beer was too good.  I had two beers at Jim and Nanny’s which would normally be enough, but the beer at the restaurant was so good I had two more!  I’ll just say that my walk home didn’t have many straight sections.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment