Sunday, July 2, 2017



June 21, 2017     Innsbruck to Vienna

I am sooo far behind because I take too many photos, and then I have to identify what I’ve photographed.  It is an obsession. 

We scheduled the train back to Vienna for the early afternoon because I wanted to visit the Cenotaph of Maximilian I.  A cenotaph is an empty tomb.  Maximilian is not buried here, it is a long story.  In fact I learned about it from a TV travel show.  The cenotaph is located in the Hofkirche which was a five minute walk from our hotel.  The elaborate tomb is surrounded by 28 larger than life statues of Kings, Queens and Hapsburg relatives.  I of course took WAY TOO MANY photos.  I am now struggling to identify who is who.  I think the Wikipedia web page is mistaken, because they took their information from another page that has the error, I think.  I may have to actually post photos without comments or else I won’t be finished until after we are back home.  Before we went to the train station we went to the Olympic Center in Innsbruck to get photos of the Olympic Rings, then it was back to the station for a four hour ride back to Vienna.

Sue picked another wonderful hotel in Vienna.  It was a short tram ride from the station.  The hotel was not in a tourist area, but it was brand new.  Our room was very large and comfortable.  We walked a couple of blocks to a shopping area for dinner.  I had the Budapester, the best bratwurst I’ve ever had.  We went back to the same place on our third night and I had it again.

This is a link to the Wikipedia  page on the Hofkirche.

This is the link to the photos

No comments:

Post a Comment