Back to our busy Friday. Actually I’ll add the photos from Thursday. We went back to the Rijksmuseum to explore
another floor and in the evening it was out for a very nice dinner. The photos show it all.
On Friday we went to Haarlem, it
is a 15 minute train ride. Haarlem is a
very neat town. I’m sure there are areas
that aren’t as nice as the central tourist area, but we didn’t go there. St. Bavo’s the Great Church is in the Central
Square. You could spend a lot of time
looking at all of the historical items in the church, I just took a lot of
so-so photos. The walk from the church
to the Frans Hals Museum is very nice.
Frans was a painter during the Dutch Golden Age. His work is amazing when you are able to see
it up close. There is a portrait at the
Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, that I've added to the top of the blog, where he paints the beard of a man in about six brush
strokes, but you don’t notice that until you get very close to the
painting. As usual I took way too many
photos in the museum, and quite a few are almost in focus. But if I take a photo I save it, and then I
feel compelled to post it. If you
remember my comments about artists/craftsmen you can see from the photos from the
Frans Hals Museum that some artists definitely specialized in certain types of
paintings. The museum is a nice size,
you can see everything in less than a few hours, much less if you don’t take
photos. Sue even used the audio tour,
and we haven’t used them before because I would feel compelled to listen to
every recording. But it worked out well,
I took photos without listening and Sue listened without taking photos. Then we went to the Teylers Museum. This guy collected everything. We got there about an hour before it closed
so again thankfully I couldn’t go crazy taking photos, and most of the
information is in Dutch.
We went to Vondelpark on Saturday,
but I’m all typed out, so maybe tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment