We are now at 399 paintings on the list. We started out at the Dulwich Gallery. Where we saw #398, the painting “Mrs. Siddons
as the Tragic Muse” by Joshua Reynolds (?).
The book lists the painting at the Dulwich Gallery even though it is a
copy of the original in California, go figure.
I didn’t take a photo because the glare on the painting was pretty bad.
This
Gallery is just about a perfect size, you can see all the paintings in about an
hour. The collection has an extensive
collection of Dutch artists, Italian and of course British artists. The Gallery also has a painting on another
list we are keeping. On our previous
visit to Amsterdam Sue bought a scarf that has 80 Old Master portraits arranged
in rows repeated across the scarf. This
gallery has the “Girl at a Window” by Rembrandt. We have now either seen for certain, or at
least been to the museum before we got the scarf 71 of the 80 portraits. We then went to the Tate Modern and saw #399,
“Pietà or Revolution by Night” by Max Ernst. This was the only painting on display of the
14 at the Tate Modern that we haven’t seen.
I’ve requested a visit to the Tate Stores to see any of the other 13
that they could show us. I’m not
optimistic that we’ll get to see any of them.
But there are two paintings on display that “almost” qualify. They are paintings each artist made as part
of a series, so they are very similar to the actual paintings in the book. I have put these paintings in separate album so
you can see the kind of worthless things I obsess over. The Tube is a great way to get around London,
but we really enjoy taking the bus because you get to see more. The London bus system is amazing, there are
over 800 routes! The information at the
bus stops is pretty good so you can figure out which bus to use. And of course there is a smart phone app to
plan your trip. I mention this because
we spent couple of hours on buses today, and we got to see a lot of
London. After the museum we went to the
Queen’s Head & Artichoke pub for a Sunday Roast dinner. The pub is about a 10 minute walk from the
apartment. Sue had the roast half
chicken and I had the beef. Both came
with roasted potatoes and carrots, kale and mine had a Yorkshire pudding. I love Yorkshire pudding, my mom made it
every time we had roast beef. It is
basically the drippings (fat) from the meat mixed with flour and baked. We then walked through part of Regent’s Park
after dinner. So it was a full day.
No comments:
Post a Comment