Wednesday April 18, 2018 posting
April 5 Montpellier to Albi (post 2 of 2)
The museum in Montpellier has two 1001 paintings per the
book, but there is a question about one of the paintings. The painting is “Anatomical Pieces” by
Theodore Géricault. The picture in the
book does not match the picture with the same name by the same artist in
Montpellier’s collection. My internet
searching has the correct painting in Rouen.
We will be in Rouen in about two weeks to hopefully solve this mystery. We did find the other 1001 painting without
any problem. I of course took a lot of
photos, but what else is new?
Montpellier has an aqueduct, who knew? So of course we had to go see it. It was built in the mid-1700s and it
apparently still supplies fountains in the town. After we saw our paintings we were off to see
the Millau Viaduct. The photos show it
all. There is an extra special addition
after the photo album; a video as we drive over the Viaduct. I think you will enjoy it.
Don’t look at the video until you’ve seen the photos.
Wednesday April 18, 2018 posting
April 4 Nice to Montpellier (post 1 of 2)
There was still one 1001
painting in Nice at the Matisse Museum.
We took a bus to the Museum as Nice is very hilly away from the
shore. As the photos show we arrived at
the museum before it opened. It isn’t a
big place, so we found the 1001 painting and were through rest pretty
quickly. We got a little lost on the way
back to the hotel, we got off the bus a little early, but we eventually made
okay. Our next destination was the museum
in Montpellier, and that is a 4.5 hour drive.
It was an eventful day. We take a
lot of toll roads, and today I almost had a disaster. I pulled into the toll both to get the
ticket. I was just a bit too far away
from the machine, so when I stretched to grab the ticket, my foot slipped off
the brake and hit the gas. Fortunately
this car turns off the engine when you stop, so when my foot hit the gas pedal
it took a few seconds for the car to start, and then leap forward. The windshield hit the barrier as I hit the
brakes. The car stopped with the barrier
on the roof, the windshield wasn’t damaged, thank God. I put the car in park, opened the door and
reached back to get the ticket, jumped back into the car and took off. Nobody came after us, but it was still a
trauma. But thrills weren’t over. That afternoon when we were in our hotel in
Montpellier I got a text message from the credit card company asking if we had
made three suspicious charges, and we had NOT!
So we texted back no, and that card was de-activated. Sue called and talked to the agent, there
were three charges made today to Google*Walmart, each for $84.53. Fortunately we have a backup card, but ONLY
one. We only used the card today at the
hotel and at the museum. This was even more
upsetting than by jousting with the toll barrier. That was enough for one day. We will visit Montpellier’s museum tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment