Monday, April 23, 2018


Monday April 23, 2018   posting April 9 & 10 Madrid (2 of 2)

The drive to Madrid was about four hours, so we arrived in mid-afternoon.  The parking was at the hotel was unique.  I drove into what I thought was a garage opening, but was actually a car elevator.  We went down a couple of floors to a very small space.  There were already two cars there, one was parked to take up two of three spaces along one wall.  I was able to get into a space.  My concern was that if someone tried to get into the space between me and the space hog it could be a problem.  Just something more for me to worry about.  The Prado is free after 6 PM so we went over to get in line.
The Prado has the infamous “The Archery Contest” by David Teniers the Younger that wasn’t on display our first visit nine years ago, and isn’t on display now.  But the other 1001 painting “Nude on the Beach at Portici” by Mariar Fortuny y Marsa was on display.  We also saw the two La Tour painting, and two of the three “149 You Must See…” that are at the Prado.  The Prado has a tremendous collection, but it is a bit crowded at the free time.  We were here on a Home Exchange in 2009 for a month, and I went almost every day when it was free.  The Prado is up there with the Louvre, both Nat’l Galleries, London & Washington and the Hermitage.

For dinner we ate at a restaurant almost across from the hotel.  Sue informed me that she had octopus and I had the scallops.  She is slipping, she can’t remember if we had ice cream for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment