Saturday April 7, 2018 Posting
Nancy to Colmar March 28, 2018
We had seen a store in Nancy, “Chicago Looks” and we had to
get a photo. We went inside and met the
owners. They were wonderful, they were
originally from Ghana, but have been in Nancy for over 20 years. Sue and Millicent are Facebook friends. Millicent posts tons of recipes every day,
and Sue can’t wait to try some of them.
We were going visit Colmar again to see two 1001 painting
that we missed on our last visit in 2016.
Back then on the day we visited I had the museum closing late, and of
course I was wrong. We are staying at
the B&B Villa Elyane. It is a large
old house in a very nice area of Colmar.
We are staying three nights in Colmar.
The museum in Colmar, Musée d'Unterlinden has two 1001
paintings. One piece, the “Isenheim
Altarpiece” by Matthias Grünewald is much more than a single painting. It is huge, and incredible. It is dated 1512-1516. This put it just after the Midieval/Middle
Ages. Most art from the Middle Ages is
religious and unsigned. So I think it is
a bit unusual that the artist for this piece is known. This could be a new list, as there are very
few known paintings by Grunewald.
The other painting at the museum is from 1969, “Homage to
Monsieur de Vauban” by Georges Mathieu, and I really like this one. So that was two more for the 1001 list.
The museum’s modern and contemporary art collection has many
artists that are on our 1001 list. So of
course I had to take photos of most of them.
We had one other task to complete in Colmar. Our Canadian 1001 friends, Nancy and Royden
were in Colmar earlier this year, and Royden put one of his “Farmer” decals on
a lamppost in Rapp Park. We found it on
post #25.
No comments:
Post a Comment