Friday, April 27, 2018


Friday April 27, 2018        posting April 18 Le Mans & Rouen (post 3 of 3 today)

Today we are going to visit Rouen to see: a Caravaggio, hopefully the “correct” Anatomical Pieces by Gericault, and Sue’s favorite a copy of a George La Tour painting.  We had stayed in Rouen before on another Home Exchange, but at the moment I don’t know when that was.

But our first stop today was to visit the Le Mans Race Track.  The only way to see the actual track was to take a tour, and we didn’t do that.  We were satisfied with another bad selfie and a visit to the track museum.  As we started to walk through the museum Sue asked why I wasn’t taking more photos!!!  I really wasn’t taking many photos, I’m not really a car guy.  But to satisfy Sue I took a photo of almost every race car there along with each car’s information plaque.  To be kind I’ve put all these photos in their own album, so you can skip them if you aren’t interested either.  Of course if you weren’t interested you wouldn’t be following this silly blog.

As mentioned above we stayed in Rouen and visited this museum before, but it was definitely before I started tracking down Caravaggio paintings.  The Caravaggio is a highlight of the museum, and hard to miss as it is located in the center of one of the main galleries.  Right next door was the copy of the La Tour painting, so things were looking good.  The museum had a lot of paintings by Gericault and they did have the correct Anatomical Pieces.  I am considering counting this painting twice; one for the painting in and again for this one in Rouen.  I know Sue won’t go along with this because she is a stickler for going by the rules.

On our walk to the museum we passed through a pedestrian plaza that was lined with cafes, crowded with people sitting outside.  When we left the museum, probably around 15:00 most of the cafes were empty.  We stopped at the one that had a few people still there to get lunch.  It was a winner.  The sandwiches were served on a bagel.  I had a toasted ham and cheese, Sue had goat cheese and onions grilled on a bagel they were both delicious.  We even had dessert, vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce that was sweet enough for me.  It was a pretty good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment